576 040 Smoking
Standard No. 576-040
POLICY ON SMOKING IN UNIVERSITY BUILDINGS AND THE CORVALLIS CAMPUS
It is the policy of Oregon State University (the “University”) that students, faculty, staff, consultants, contractors and visitors are entitled to and will be provided smoke-free areas in which to study, work, teach, conduct research, transact business, and otherwise participate in University activities.
Hist.: OSU 3-1988(Temp), f. 7-12-88, cert. ef. 7-15-88; OSU 6-1988, f. & cert. ef. 11-9-88; OSU 10-2011, f. & cert. ef. 12-27-11
(1) “Smoking” means inhaling or exhaling smoke from, or burning or carrying, any lighted Smoking Instrument, or using an electronic cigarette or device intended to simulate smoking.
(2) “Smoking Instrument” means a cigar, cigarette, pipe, electronic cigarette or other device intended to simulate smoking.
(3) “Corvallis Campus” means the entire area within the boundary of the University’s Corvallis campus, as illustrated at http://oregonstate.edu/smokefree/map, as well as all other University-owned property within Benton County that is marked with signage indicating a no-smoking environment.
(4) “Enclosed University facilities” means all University-owned space between a floor and a ceiling that is enclosed on three or more sides by permanent or temporary walls or windows, exclusive of doors or passageways that extend from the floor to the ceiling.
(5) “Service Line” means any indoor line, or any portion of an indoor line that extends out of doors, at which one or more persons are waiting for or receiving services of any kind, whether or not such services involves the exchange of money.
Hist.: OSU 8-1998, f. & cert. ef. 8-24-98; OSU 10-2011, f. & cert. ef. 12-27-11
Areas in Which Smoking is Prohibited
Smoking or carrying any lighted Smoking Instrument is prohibited:
(1) Within Enclosed University Facilities, including but not limited to offices, reception areas, laboratories, lavatories, classrooms, stairwells, hallways, lobbies, meeting rooms, gymnasiums, elevators, and storage rooms; and
(2) In any indoor or outdoor space on the Corvallis Campus, including but not limited to parking lots, grounds, rooftops, athletic facilities, entrances and exit ways;
(3) Within all vehicles on Corvallis Campus;
(4) With the exception of Corvallis Campus, within ten (10 feet of any entrance, window, or ventilation system of any Enclosed University Facility where smoking is prohibited or of any Service Line that extends out of doors; and
(5) Within any University Motor Pool vehicle.
Hist.: OSU 3-1988(Temp), f. 7-12-88, cert. ef. 7-15-88; OSU 6-1988, f. & cert. ef. 11-9-88; OSU 11-1991, f. & cert. ef. 11-13-91; OSU 8-1998, f. & cert. ef. 8-24-98; OSU 10-2011, f. & cert. ef. 12-27-11
Anyone aggrieved by the application of these rules may appeal in writing within 10 days to the Vice President for Finance/Administration or designee. If the Vice President for Finance/Administration or designee does not respond to the appeal in writing within 10 days of receiving the appeal, the appeal is deemed denied.