Most Frequently Asked Commencement Questions
- How do I register for Commencement? Login to MyOSU portal, Student Records, Commencement Attendance Confirmation to confirm your attendance.
- What if I am no longer coming to Commencement? Login to MyOSU Portal, Student Records, Commencement Attendance Confirmation to cancel your attendance.
- May I participate in Commencement if I intend to graduate in the upcoming Summer or Fall term? Baccalaureate degree candidates pending graduation for the upcoming Summer or Fall Terms may participate in Spring Term Commencement prior to the awarding of their degree OR they can opt to attend the commencement the following spring.
- When is the Commencement Ceremony? Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 10:30 a.m. in Reser Stadium. Line up begins at 9 a.m. Undergraduates will report to the Memorial Union Quad. Graduates will report to the Valley Library Quad. Procession to Reser begins at 10:00 a.m. and enters Reser at 10:30 a.m.
- What if it rains? The ceremony will take place as scheduled. If rain is predicted, guests may want to bring a hat and/or rain poncho, or other types of covering. Umbrellas are not permitted in Reser Stadium.
- Are the seats in Reser Stadium in the sun? Some are in the sun while others are in the shade. Guests may want to consider bringing sunscreen and visors or hats for sun protection. Students participating in the ceremony are seated on the playing field where there is no protection from the sun and are advised to bring sunscreen.
- How do I know if I am approved to graduate? Confirm you have applied to graduate by checking self-service “View application(s) for Graduation” in Student Record menu. Check your holds for any deficiencies, watch your OSU email account for status emails from the Registrar’s office, check your MyDegrees status, and check in with your advisor.
- Am I eligible to receive my diploma at Commencement? We cannot determine this until preliminary grades are received and the student’s college verifies that all degree requirements have been met up to that point.
- Will I be notified if I am not eligible to receive my diploma or graduate? Yes, we will notify you through your OSU email account.
- Why wasn’t my name listed in my hometown newspaper? There are various reasons, but the two most common are 1) You have elected that your student record be confidential, or 2) Your current mailing address is in Corvallis. OSU News & Communications releases information to the news media based on current mailing information.
- Can I get a Commencement program before graduation? Unfortunately, they are not available prior to the event. Programs are available at the ceremony and thereafter, beginning June 15 at the Registrar's Office.
- Where do I order the Commencement video? Contact Media Services for information or visit the Commencement website: http://oregonstate.edu/events/commencement/video.
- Where do I order frames for diplomas? Frames are available through the Alumni Office or the OSU Beaver Store. A sample is available in the Registrar’s Office reception area.
- Where do I get tickets? Tickets are NOT needed to attend the ceremony.
- Is reserved seating available? No, seating is NOT reserved.
- When and where do I get my cap and gown or announcements and how much? Regalia may be purchased at the OSU Beaver Store. The OSU Beaver Store has pricing information. Announcements may be ordered directly through Jostens’ website, http://www.jostens.com/, the OSU Beaver Store website, http://osubeaverstore.com, or by calling 1-800-854-7464.
- Where do I find Commencement information? The following people should have had a commencement brochure mailed to them around April 1:
- Graduates from Summer 2014 through Winter 2015,
- Prospective undergraduates for Spring 2015, Summer, and Fall 2015 and
- Graduate students completing degrees by June 1, 2015
Students who have applied after April 1 for (Summer or Fall term) graduation will not be mailed a Commencement pamphlet. The pamphlet is published on the web, accessible through the Registrar’s homepage via the Commencement link. Information is also located on the Commencement website: http://oregonstate.edu/commencement/.
- Why haven’t I received any information about graduation? You must have a valid address on file. Check your student record in MyOSU Portal and update your address if needed.
- How do I respond that I will be participating in the Commencement ceremony? You need to register to participate in Commencement through MyOSU Portal or by using the button on the Commencement website.
- Is it too late to register to participate? When is the last day to RSVP? The deadline to apply to graduate for Spring term is April 10, 2015. April 24 is the last day to apply to graduate for Summer and Fall term 2015 and get your name in the program. Commencement registration will remain open until May 29.
- What address do you send Commencement information to? The Current Mailing Address. You can update your address through MyOSU Portal.
- Can I use my own cap and gown or do I have to purchase them? You may use your own cap and gown, but only if inspected and approved by Registrar's Office to verify that it is the correct design.
- I’m taking classes at another institution this term, can I still receive my diploma? Only students in the Degree Partnership Program (DPP) may be eligible to receive their diploma on Commencement day. To be eligible, the Registrar’s Office must receive as close to final grades as possible from the instructor(s) teaching at the other institution. The instructor’s email must come from their institution email address and be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is the responsibility of the DPP student to notify their instructors to email OSU. Students who are not in the DPP will have to wait until their final transcripts are received from the other institution and degrees are awarded (expected to take place by July 20, 2015) before obtaining their diploma.
- If I already picked up my diploma, can I still walk in the ceremony? Yes. You will receive a letter thanking you for participating in the ceremony in lieu of a diploma.
- What size is my diploma? Undergraduate dimensions are 7x9; graduate/professional dimensions are 8x10.
- Why can’t I get my diploma before the Monday after Commencement? Spring term diplomas are NOT released prior to the Commencement ceremony.
- When can I get my diploma if I’m not attending the ceremony? Spring diplomas that are approved for release at Commencement but not distributed at the ceremony will be available at the Registrar's Office on June 15 beginning 10am. Picture identification must be presented to obtain your diploma at the Registrar's Office.
- How do I arrange to have my diploma mailed to me? You need to submit a Diploma Mailing Request/Duplicate Diploma Order which is available on the Registrar’s website under the Forms for Students section. The mailing fee is US$25 (US$40 for international mailing).
- Why wasn’t my diploma in my case? Release of your diploma is dependent on many things including preliminary grades, transfer work, etc. Check your graduation holds in MyOSU Portal and OSU email account for notification.
- When can I get my diploma if I’m not cleared to receive my diploma at Commencement? You can pick up your diploma or request its mailing after the third week of July. To check the status of your degree verification, check your MyOSU Portal for holds and your OSU email account for specific information.
- When and where is graduation? June 13, 2015 at 10:30 a.m. in Reser Stadium. Line up begins at 9 a.m. Undergraduates will report to the Memorial Union Quad. Graduates will report to the Valley Library Quad. Procession to Reser begins at 10:00 a.m. and enters Reser at 10:30 a.m. Gates open at 9 a.m. for guests.
- If I completed the requirements in an earlier term, can I still walk in the ceremony? Yes, past terms: Summer 2014, Fall 2014 and Winter 2015 graduates are invited to participate. If you have not picked up your diploma, it will be presented at the ceremony.
- I’m not graduating until Summer or Fall term 2015. Can I still attend Commencement? Yes. Undergraduate students with senior status (minimum of 135 credits) pending Summer or Fall 2015 graduation may participate. You need to apply to graduate, then register to participate in Commencement through MyOSU portal. You will not receive a diploma; instead, you will receive a letter in your diploma case thanking you for attending.
- How long does the commencement ceremony last? 2½ to 3 hours.
- How do I arrange special seating for family members who can’t climb stairs? Gate C at Reser Stadium has a handicapped accessible elevator, which will take the person to the club level area of seating.
- Can I park my baby stroller in the handicapped seating section? No, a special room will be available for baby strollers. Signage will indicate the location of this room. A nursing station will also be available.
Grades and Honor Cords
- When does my incomplete grade need to be resolved so I may receive my diploma at Commencement? The grade must be received by the Registrar’s Office by May 8 for undergraduate students and May 29 for graduate students.
- What if I have an incomplete that hasn’t been removed by May 8? You can still attend the ceremony but will not receive your diploma that day.
- What if I receive an incomplete on preliminary grades? You can still attend the ceremony but will not receive your diploma that day.
- Can I wear an honor cord? Yes, if you have academic honors based on Winter Term OSU Institutional cumulative GPA & credits: Cum Laude = 3.50+ (Orange cord) Magna Cum Laude = 3.70+ (Gold cord) and Summa Cum Laude = 3.85+ (White cord) and you must have 90 credits or 60 upper-division credits at OSU and you are a graduate of the 2014–2015 academic year. Future Summer and Fall graduates are not eligible to wear honor cords in the 2015 Commencement Ceremony
- Can I wear other cords or regalia from clubs and honor societies? Yes. While they are not formally recognized by OSU, other cords, stoles and regalia may be worn during the Commencement ceremony.
- Why wasn’t I listed ‘with honors’ for graduation? An honor is determined with Winter Term OSU cumulative (Institutional) GPAs. Students graduating Summer or Fall 2015 will not receive honors at this ceremony.
- My Spring term grades make my GPA high enough to wear an honor cord. How do I get one? Honors for the ceremony are based on Winter Term OSU cumulative GPAs and credit hours. If, in fact, Spring term grades bring up the OSU cumulative GPA and credit hours to honors level, a new diploma will be reprinted with the correct academic honors and you will be notified. The reprinted diploma will be available for you to pick up about mid-August. You may request mailing of the replacement diploma, free of charge, by submitting the diploma mailing request form. The original diploma should be returned to the Registrar's Office (it is not necessary to return the case).
Assistance for Students/Guests with Disabilities
- Assistance for Students with Disabilities: Students with disabilities who plan to attend Commencement and who may need special accommodations should email the Registrar’s Office email@example.com. Put in the subject line, "Accommodations for Commencement", or call 541-737-4048 to make arrangements by May 1, 2015.
- Assistance for Guests with Disabilities or Medical needs: A number of special services are made available to accommodate those guests with hearing impairments, mobility problems, special seating and parking needs. You are encouraged to call the Commencement Hotline at 541-737-9390 or check http://oregonstate.edu/commencement/ for details. Guests who are sensitive to climatic conditions or who would be more comfortable in auditorium seating may view the televised ceremony from the Stadium Club located on the third level of Reser Stadium. If special services are needed, please contact the Disabilities Access Services Office at 541-737-4098.
MyDegrees & Degree Clearance Issues
- MyDegrees shows I’m on track to graduate; is there anything else I need to do? The MyDegrees audit is a good faith preliminary audit. After the term ends, a full audit will be completed during the degree clearance process, using final grades and final advisor and college input. You will be notified if there are any deficiencies at that time or you will receive a notification that you have successfully graduated.
- MyDegrees says I need 212 credits for my 2 majors, but my advisor says I only need 180, how many do I need? The number of credits depends on whether you wish to pursue a Double Degree or a Double Major. Work with your advisor to determine the best option for you. MyDegrees will be adjusted when you apply to graduate to reflect the actual number of credits needed as a result of your choice of a Double Degree or Double Major.
- How do I know if I graduated? Degrees are cleared approximately four weeks after the term ends. You can see if your degree has been awarded by checking your unofficial transcript in the MyOSU portal unofficial transcript section. Additionally, an email notifying you of your graduation status will be sent to your OSU email account. Be sure to monitor your OSU email account closely for a minimum of one month after the term for which you’ve applied to graduate.
- Do I have to complete a foreign language? A foreign language is required by the Oregon University System (state of Oregon) and must be fulfilled prior to the awarding of any undergraduate degree (see Admissions Requirements).
- I’m taking classes at another institution this term, can I still receive my diploma? Only students in the Degree Partnership Program (DPP) may be eligible to receive their diploma on Commencement day. To be eligible, the Registrar’s Office must receive as close to final grades as possible from the instructor(s) teaching at the other institution. The instructor’s email must come from their institution email address and be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is the responsibility of the DPP student to notify their instructors to email OSU. Students who are not in the DPP will have to wait until their final transcripts are received from the other institution and degrees are awarded (expected to take place by July 21, 2014) before obtaining their diploma.
- Will I receive my diploma at Commencement? The Registrar’s Office will make every attempt to provide your diploma on Commencement day. We review daily for missing preliminary grades, final grades, and transcripts in an effort to complete your degree audit before Commencement. If we are unable to complete your audit for any reason, you will receive a letter in your diploma case thanking you for participating in the ceremony. Upon final clearance, your diploma will be available for pick up at the Registrar’s Office.
- I may be late to the ceremony; can I still receive my diploma? Diploma distribution is a finely tuned process, if you are late or get out of alphabetical order, you may not receive your diploma at the ceremony.
- How can I verify that I will receive my diploma? Review your graduation holds! Holds for unresolved Y grades will not prevent the release of your diploma, but all other holds will prevent the release of your diploma.
- When will I know if my degree audit has been successful? Approximately two weeks before Commencement and after preliminary grades have been received, all students whose audit was not successful will receive an email identifying the insufficiencies. This email serves to notify you that your diploma may not be available at Commencement; however, you are still eligible to attend Commencement. Some deficiencies may not be resolved until after final grades are received, or final transfer work is received. If the issues are not resolved before the Commencement ceremony, you will receive a thank you letter in your diploma case and your diploma will be available in the Registrar’s Office upon degree clearance.
- I need another class in Summer/Fall, can I still participate in Commencement? If you realize you will be unable to complete your degree requirements in Spring term, you will want to move your application for graduation to a future term. Summer and Fall graduates are still eligible to participate in Commencement.
- I’m failing a class and may have to take it over next term; can I still participate in Commencement? Yes, but you may not receive your diploma; instead you will receive a thank you for participating letter in your diploma case. If, at the completion of your class you are unsuccessful, you must change your application for graduation to a future term.
- I’m not sure if I can complete my minor/option, can I still graduate? If your minor/option cannot be completed in the term you have applied to graduate, you must drop the minor at the Registrar’s Office, otherwise your graduation application will be cancelled. You may complete your minor in a future term as a credential seeking student.
- Who can I contact for questions regarding my degree audit? Your academic advisor has the most information about your specific program of study and should be your first point of contact for questions related to your specific issues.
- My preliminary grade was too low for graduation, but I’ll have it back up at the end of the term, do I need to notify someone? The Registrar’s Office monitors grades daily looking for improved preliminary grades or successful final grades. The hold will be removed as soon as an improved grade is received.
- MyDegrees shows the preliminary grade now; do I need to notify someone? The Registrar’s Office monitors grades daily looking for preliminary grades; you should see the hold removed by the end of the day.