CORVALLIS - The University Theatre program at Oregon State University will present in April six performances of Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women," the timeless, coming-of-age story about four sisters.
Part of the theater program's "All-American Season," the production will play April 1-3 and April 8-10 in the Withycombe Hall Theater. All performances begin at 7:30 p.m.
The familiar story of the Marches - Amy, Beth, Meg and Jo - will have a local twist. This adaptation of "Little Women" was written by a pair of Portland writers, Myra Donnelley and Jo H. Lewis, according to director William Earl.
"Little Women" chronicles the fortunes of the four March sisters and their mother during the Civil War. As the sisters grow up, they experience all of the joys, confusion and disappointment the process invariably brings, making the tale timeless.
The cast includes four OSU students as the March sisters - Erin Holman of Monroe, as Amy; Christine Nguyen, Portland, as Beth; Lori Kroiss, St. Paul, Minn., as Meg; and Jennifer "J.J." Shurtleff, Beaverton, as Jo.
In addition to Earl as director, the artistic staff includes Marie Chesley, costume designer; Richard George, scene and lighting designer; and Tami Ohland, stage manager.
The performance on Friday, April 9, will be signed for the hearing impaired. A narrative description also is available that night for the visually impaired.
Tickets are priced at $7 for general admission, $5 for seniors and $4 for students. They may be reserved by calling the University Theatre box office at 541-737-2784 beginning March 29.
For other questions, call the University Theatre at 541-737-2853.
The entire cast includes:
- Beaverton: Todd Booth, a junior in liberal arts, is Mr. Lawrence; Jennifer (J.J.) Surtleff, a freshman in liberal arts, is Jo March.
- Bend: Marianne Brown, a freshman in liberal arts, is Aunt March.
- Corvallis: Claire Armstrong is Tina; Kelsey Armstrong-Hann is Frieda.
- Cottage Grove: Nicholas King, a junior in science, is Laurie.
- Eugene: Monte Ludington, a junior in business, is a member of the wedding party.
- Hermiston: Ray Moro, a freshman in pre-engineering, is Father; Matthew Schaefer, a junior in liberal arts, is a member of the wedding party.
- Hood River: Molly Dutton, a junior in science, is a member of the wedding party.
- Junction City: Tana Phifer, a freshman in university exploratory studies, is a member of the wedding party.
- Monroe: Erin Holman, a freshman in home economics and education, is Amy March.
- Philomath: Carissa Taylor, a freshman in university exploratory studies, is a member of the wedding party.
- Portland: Aaron Barnes (zip code 97225), a junior in liberal arts, is Professor Bhaer; Christine Nguyen (97206), a junior in liberal arts, is Beth March; Paolina Toncinich (97230), a freshman in science, is Hannah.
- Tigard: Renee Sher, a sophomore in liberal arts, is Marmee.
- MINNESOTA: St. Paul: Lori Kroiss, a masters candidate in science, is Meg March.
- WASHINGTON: Spanaway: Derek Abbey, a senior in liberal arts, is Mr. Brooke.