Oregon State University

Frequently Asked Questions

Are campus departments or student groups required to obtain permission to use the University names/marks/logos on items used as giveaways, fundraisers or for internal use (shirts for staff, plaques, etc.)? 
Yes, in order for the university to maintain and protect its value, permission must be obtained from University Marketing and a licensed vendor must be used. For more information please see Departments or Student Groups.

Can students, individuals or businesses sell products associated with the university’s names/marks/logos on campus, on game days or otherwise?
Sales of any product related to the university are prohibited on campus with the exception of the OSU Beaver Store and Oregon State Athletic venues.

Are any sales exempt from royalties?
Licensed vendors do not pay royalties on products being sold to a campus department for internal use and paid for out of a department budget.

Does an individual or vendor need to be licensed if they are not using trademarked logos/names/marks owned by the university?
Yes. If a product uses the university’s colors, facts or words that imply an association with the university, that product must be approved and the vendor selling the product must be licensed by the university.

May students, faculty, staff, alumni or fans use OSU marks on personal Web sites and other personal items?
These requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Permission must first be obtained before using any Oregon State mark.

How does the artwork approval process work? 
If you have completed the licensing process through CLC, you will receive information on submitting artwork through their interactive Web site. This site manages the entire artwork approval process over the Internet.

How can I tell if a product is officially-licensed? 
Look for the Officially-Licensed Collegiate label or hologram. This label assures you that the merchandise on which they are affixed has been approved for sale by the university and CLC. 

CLC hangtag

May a business, corporation or outside entity use the name or marks of the University in their name or as interior design?

A business must gain prior approval before using Oregon State's marks for commercial or promotional advertising purposes. This approval is granted based upon each situation. The university's name and/or marks may also not be used in any way that could state or imply an endorsement. The marks/names/logos may not be used as part of a business name or within the interior design of a business and its building and/or location without prior approval. Approval is not always granted for any of the above uses. For more information on this subject please contact Trademark Licensing.

May public or private schools use any of Oregon State's marks as their mascot on uniforms, buildings, stadiums or for booster club fundraisers?
Oregon State does have a program that allows for public or private schools to use select Oregon State marks. Requested are reviewed on a case by case basis and there are guidelines regarding how the marks may be used. For more information please contact the Trademark Licensing program.  

Contact Info

Copyright ©  2015 Oregon State University