skip page navigationOregon State University
OSU Home.|Calendar.|Find Someone.|Maps.|Site Index.

Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate » February 5, 2004

Faculty Senate Minutes

2004 No. 592
February 5, 2004
 


The regular monthly meeting of the Faculty Senate was called to order by President Stella Coakley on February 5, 2004 at 3:01 PM in the LaSells Stewart Center.


Meeting Summary
  • Action Items: Category I - Elimination of the Master in Software Engineering [Motion 04-592-01]
  • Special Reports: Legislative Issues (M. McCambridge) and Unified Image Project (C. Pederson)


Roll Call

Members Absent:
Acock, Arsenault, Ashe, Balz, Boggess, Bondi, Butler, Costello, Cull, Daugherty, DeBellis, Duncan, Etherton, P. Farber, V. Farber, Faulhaber, Filley, Gross, Horne, Ishmael, Jepson, Koretsky, Majeski, Mason, Moulton, Murphy, Obermiller, Pearson, Perry, Reyes, Skyllingstad, Spatafora, Strik, B. Taylor, Torres, and Widrick.

Members Absent with Representation:
A. Brown, L. Goddick; Giebultowicz, B. Guakharia; Hsieh, J. Yang; Shaw, P. Watkins; and Tynon, P Hwauni.

Guests Present:
B. Becker, C. Boyer, T. Chovanec, S. Francis, M. McCambridge, C. Pederson, N. Pifer, S. Randhawa, J. Schuster, and S. Tesch.

Faculty Senate Officers and Staff and Ex-officios:
S. Coakley, President; M. McDaniel, President Elect; B. Sorte, Immediate Past President; Ex-officios: M. Carson, E. Ray, and J. Trujillo; and V. Nunnemaker, Senate Staff.


ACTION ITEM

Category I Proposal - Elimination of the Master in Software Engineering

Charles Boyer, Curriculum Council Chair, noted that both the Graduate Council and Curriculum Council had approved the proposal to eliminate the Master of Software Engineering. He explained that this program had been offered through the Oregon Masters in Software Engineering degree on a number of campuses. In 2003 the OUS and Chancellor’s Office conducted a review of the program resulting in the recommendation that the program be offered at one institution only. Proposals to offer the degree were solicited and PSU was selected to offer the program (OSU chose not to submit a proposal). The six currently enrolled OSU students will be accommodated through completion of their degrees.

Motion 04-592-01 to approve the program elimination passed by voice vote with no dissenting votes and no discussion.


SPECIAL REPORTS

Legislative Issues

President Coakley explained that Representative Kelley Wirth, who was scheduled to talk with the Senate, had been called to Salem and was not able to be present. In her place, Vice President for Finance and Administration Mark McCambridge talked about the impact of the failure of Ballot Measure 30.

McCambridge explained that last summer OSU anticipated the potential failure of BM 30 and the university and took measures to set aside funds to deal with the issue. The university does not anticipate considering any additional budget cuts or tuition or fee increases for the rest of this fiscal year.

Although McCambridge noted there is the potential of calling the legislature back into session, he feels that the immediate short-term chances of a special session dealing with budget cuts will not likely occur. The Governor is not planning to take action related to the shortfall and is hoping that the economy will improve sufficiently by the end of the biennium.

Senator Barofsky, Science, questioned the types of new revenue that the OSBHE may consider. McCambridge noted that the new Board is working in private and they have been given a mandate to increase investment in higher education. He feels that the Board will move quickly and that we can expect to see a great deal of action from this group.

Senator Foster, Liberal Arts, referred to talk about the Department of Administrative Services (DAS) with regard to givebacks. Many departments budgeted for the failure of BM 30, but felt that there would be a one-time giveback and questioned if there was any sense of the DAS interpretation. McCambridge responded that the interpretation is that the BM 30 cuts will be taken in the second year of the biennium and that the Continuing Service Levels (CSL) will be reduced by twice the Measure 30 level in 2005.


Unified Image Project

Curt Pederson, Vice President for University Advancement, explained that a Unified Image Project consisting of letters and a wordmark are replacing the current OSU hexagon logo. He noted that usage of the hexagon, which has been in use since 1989, has declined and some units have created their own logo and/or wordmark that they feel is more representative. This led to the institution having a less unified image.

Pederson polled alumni at various functions as to the effectiveness of the hexagon logo and they have indicated that it is great in the State of Oregon, but people outside the state have to squint to try to make out the letters. Alumni have suggested finding in image that is more readily recognizable.

Pederson explained that the effort for a more unified image was launched in 2001, but that budgetary and national events led to the project being put on hold. The decision to move forward was made recently. He noted that it is not unusual for organizations to introduce logos and wordmarks when milestones occur, and the University considers the Strategic Plan to be a milestone. The new logo is a 21st century mark – bold, strong and clean – a positive change. It also has tradition associated with it and works well with the web. He has shared the new image with several groups and each have been supportive of the change and encouraged him to move forward. Pederson noted that car decals to publicize the new image will be ordered and distributed around campus to replace those currently in use. He is looking for non-E&G funds to be donated to assist with the cost of the decals.

As a cost saving measure, units will be allowed to exhaust current stationery and business card supplies bearing the old logo. However, units may order stationery bearing the new image, if they so choose to replace their stock.

It is anticipated that the implementation schedule will be as follows: February - printing will be working with the new image to ready it for customers; March - full implementation of the new image.

Senator Grunder, Science, questioned whether departments will be allowed to include their names, as with the off-campus units. Tina Chovanec, Publications, responded that would probably not be an acceptable use and that a Graphic ID Guide is currently being prepared to outline how departments can incorporate their name into the image.

Senator Levien, Engineering, questioned whether there would be standard OSU formats for presentations such as Power Point. Pederson responded that standard formats will be available on the web and on CDs. Chovanec noted that there will be a standardized banner for web sites. Sites using the standardized banner will automatically be updated if the image changes again.

President Coakley asked about the cost of the formal letterhead, which will run the image across the top of the page rather than on the side. Chovanec acknowledged that the cost will be more than the current letterhead, but that there will be both a color and black and white option for desktop applications.

Muneera Spence noted that the sample lettering was a sans serif font and questioned whether there was also a serif option. Chovanec responded there was no option for a serif font.


REPORT FROM AND DIALOG WITH THE PROVOST

Sabah Randhawa, Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and International Programs, provided information about several issues.

Courtesy Faculty Task Force – He noted that there have been minor changes made to the report that was issued about a year ago, but that the sense of it is intact. The task force recommended two different subsets of faculty. Since the OARs would not allow the term ‘adjunct faculty’ to be used, OSU Affiliates and Courtesy Faculty will be used. He noted that neither subset of faculty are on OSU’s payroll. The following definitions will be used: Courtesy Faculty – individuals who contribute in a substantive way (i.e., teaching, advising, etc.); OSU Affiliates – individuals who do not contribute in a significant way (i.e., visiting faculty, guest lecturers, etc.)

He noted that the expectation of Courtesy Faculty is that they associate with the University for a longer period of time (more than one year), those in academic ranks can be promoted, and they have formal periodic performance reviews. OSU Affiliates are at the University for a year or less. Previously, approval for Courtesy Faculty (both subsets) was obtained from the Provost’s Office while the newly approved recommendation allows deans to have final approval.

The implementation process is now ready to begin and Randhawa anticipates completion of the conversion process by July 1, 2004. New appointments will be processed under the new guidelines in a month or two. He hopes to distribute a detailed set of policies to the university community within the next month.

Senator Rosenberg, Associated, questioned whether OSU Affiliates will be able to use university facilities. Randhawa indicated they would have ID cards and would be able to use the Library, Dixon, etc.

Senator Arp, Agricultural Sciences, questioned why Courtesy Faculty will be evaluated annually since many are at the rank of professor, which are normally reviewed every three years. Randhawa responded that it makes sense to have their reviews consistent with other faculty.

Senator Selker, Agricultural Sciences, questioned with whom liaison was conducted and what the response was. Randhawa responded that the task force had significant involvement with academic colleges during the last 18 months. This issue was also discussed with other groups such as deans, University Cabinet and the Faculty Senate. Senator Selker questioned the formal documented opportunities for feedback. President Coakley, who was on the task force, indicated that the task force made extended efforts to contact Courtesy Faculty and others regarding the proposed changes and inviting comment.

Randhawa noted that the Courtesy Faculty Task Force Final Report was available on the Academic Affairs website at
http://oregonstate.edu/admin/aa/2002/new/about/CourFacul.rtf
and that the guidelines should be ready in a week or so.

President Coakley, who served on the task force, stated that one intent was to reduce paperwork and questioned why time was going to be spent in moving all current Courtesy Faculty and OSU Affiliates to the new system when many will be rotating out of the system in June. Coakley recommended waiting until the next cycle begins in July for continuing faculty and immediately begin processing incoming faculty under the new guidelines. Randhawa will take this recommendation under consideration. He also noted that some departments are diligent in reviewing appointments, but other appointments have not been reviewed in years which acted as a trigger to review Courtesy Faculty.

Senator Mosley, Engineering, questioned how faculty will obtain ID cards if the paperwork only goes as far as the dean’s office. Randhawa indicated that a system to transmit information to Human Resources is being worked out to issue ID cards, etc. Mosley also questioned whether inactive Courtesy Faculty will be moved to the status of OSU Affiliates. Randhawa felt this was an opportunity for departments to take them off the books or have a conversation with them regarding their status.

In response to Senator Clauson, Forestry, inquiring as to the number of faculty affected, Randhawa indicated there are currently about 750 appointments. He also noted that, for some, their role is quite limited.

Strategic Plan – The Strategic Plan is in the final production stage and it is anticipated that it will be shared with the campus over the next 10-14 days.

Searches – The searches for Vice President for Research and Vice President for University Advancement close in mid- March with appointments expected no later than September 2004. Interviews for the Directors of the Academic Success and Teaching and Learning Centers will be in February and they are hoping to close the searches by the beginning of March.

Faculty Awards – On behalf of the President and Provost, Randhawa strongly urged that faculty be nominated for available awards. He noted that some awards received no nominations last year.


REPORT FROM & DIALOG WITH THE FACULTY SENATE PRESIDENT

President Coakley thanked the meeting presenters and Senators for their contributions during the meeting.

Faculty Senate Meeting Schedule Revised – Due to a conflict with the recently rescheduled meetings of the Oregon State Board of Higher Education, the Faculty Senate is changing their meeting dates to the second Thursday of the month for the remainder of the academic year. Please also hold these alternate dates for the fall until it is determined whether the revised OSBHE schedule will continue into the fall.

Optional Retirement Program (ORP) Forum – The Faculty Senate expects to co-sponsor with the Provost’s Office an open forum regarding ORP.

Information Items – President Coakley encouraged Senators to read these items so they will be apprised of what is coming forward, but not yet ready for the Senate floor. She noted that Information Items may become Action Items and those having a potential impact should be communicated to Senators’ constituents.

Faculty Awards Nominations – President Coakley noted that past patterns of successful nominations are indicative of colleges and departments that are willing to take the time to nominate faculty. OSU has numerous qualified and deserving faculty. She noted that the Botany & Plant Pathology departmental policy is that nominees are not advised when nominated for awards. Since preparing nominations requires updated CV’s, faculty were much more willing to keep their CV’s updated when they realized that this effort could ultimately result in an award nomination.

Campus Engagement – President Coakley encouraged faculty to engage in campus issues, particularly those involving students, and to reach out to students. She recently attended a student debate and was reminded of the great amount of student creativity, energy and enthusiasm and the role played by faculty to encourage students.


DIALOG WITH OSU PRESIDENT ED RAY

President Ray commented on his message that was distributed to the campus regarding Ballot Measure 30. He indicated that the point of the message was to say that OSU was not foolish in the way that funds were allocated in anticipation of the failure of BM 30. In his message he referred to the dedication of faculty who work here and feels that people are doing an extraordinary job given the resources available. He noted that the number of faculty retiring in each of the last two years has doubled from three years ago. He will be working with the Governor and OSBHE to find new ways to reinvest in higher education and noted there is speculation that it may take several biennium to see money coming back to higher ed.

Senator Ho, Science, stated that the salary freeze rule impacts faculty retention and student recruitment and questioned what the university is doing about this issue. Ray stated that it is yet to be determined whether the new State Board will implement changes in this area. He has already brought up the issue of counteroffers with the new Board, and will continue to push this issue. He feels there needs to be flexibility with respect to compensation and counteroffers.

Senator Kanury, Engineering, mentioned the concept of clusters of expertise and questioned if there was a structure to safeguard against misuse of collaboration. Ray responded that faculty shouldn't work with someone they don't trust - there are faculty rules and expectations of colleagues with respect to plagiarism and collegiality. Although he expects these rules to be sufficient, he commented that there may be a need to sort out intellectual property rights at some point. Coakley added that there are university processes, and that faculty can contact the Faculty Senate to determine what is available to faculty regarding grievance and mediation procedures. She encouraged faculty to work through problems as they arise, and keep taking the issue to the next level if necessary. She also noted it was important for students to learn the ethics and standards expected of faculty.

Senator Ho commented that the university is conducting a search for a Vice President for Research when there is a sitting Vice Provost for Research. Ray responded that, for purposes of effective representation, the university needs someone with the right title when they go to Washington, D.C. to talk with funding agencies. It's important to have a title that is commonly recognized. Ray wants the position to be expanded to include a more active and visible presence in D.C. to lead and coordinate efforts to gain funding for the University, and he wants the office to take a more active role in bringing back research opportunities to potential principle investigators. Vice Provost Randhawa reminded Senators that Rich Holdren's appointment is fixed-term and the intent was always to conduct a national search.

NEW BUSINESS

Senator Empey, Student Affairs, announced that University Housing and Dining Services has initiated a new program called 'Food for Thought' that offers an opportunity to engage with students. This program invites faculty to have a meal with students in a dining hall at no cost to the faculty member. She encouraged faculty to announce in class that they would be willing to participate in this program and meet with students for a meal. The students then take the faculty member to the dining centers' Service Centers where coupons can be obtained. The hope is that students and faculty will take advantage of the opportunity to engage in academic and scholarly discourse outside of the classroom.


There was no new business.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:25 PM.

Respectfully submitted:
Vickie Nunnemaker
Faculty Senate Staff