Oregon State University

Minutes - September 3, 2003

Present: Rose Lacey, Laurel Busse, Donetta Sheffold, Scott Elmshauser

Meeting came to order: 1:15 pm

Review/Approve Minutes

  • Minutes approved

PFLA letter in response to recommendations

  • Meeting will be held on October 1, West Hall, with White and Randhawa, we meet at 1:00, they will join us at 2:00?? Rose will double check times.
  • Members present reviewed letter. Some changes were recommended.
  • Rose requested a pre-meeting to the October 1 meeting.
  • We decided against an outside facilitator. We agreed to decide at the pre-meeting who will keep time, who will keep on track, who will insure all important questions are asked and answered.
  • We agreed to ask all board members to agree or disagree to copy the letter to current members, (reminder: add CC to the letter). The updated letter and questions will be attached to the e-mail to board members. Rose will send.

Board Reports

  • Scott Elmshauser — Professional Development
    • Scott had Donetta look into "Achieving Stress Resilience". The cost is significant. We problem solved with Scott about how to get cost down for membership and/or get funding from the Professional Development Fund.
    • Scott will talk to Paul about Will Kein. Rose agreed to try and contact Will.
  • Laurel Busse — Secretary
    • Laurel indicated she would be listening for commitments and keeping track of them at the bottom of each set of minutes. These will be reviewed at the beginning of each meeting, listed as done or working and forwarded to future minutes until listed as done.
  • Donetta — Membership
    • Donetta reported that we have 20 complimentary members, 24 regular members for a total of 44 members.
    • Donetta asked that we have the retreat earlier in the year so that new board members have more time to prepare for the upcoming year's activities.
    • We discussed holding the retreat approximately June 11, and getting that on the calendar early in the year so everyone could plan to attend. New board members could then be notified right after elections. Needs further discussion.
    • Donetta asked for Professional Development opportunities. Rose agreed to send it to her.
    • Donetta will be sending a PFLA letter to all Professional Faculty. May need more letterhead printed.

University Day

  • Donetta gave an update on gifts. Display needs set up by 9am. We will have an 8-foot booth. Scott has the banner. Donetta will have membership forms, interest cards, something for the drawing. Need to have greeters to volunteer 9-12:30. Donetta agreed to make PFLA nametags with board members and titles.
    • Board members present agreed to purchase the Palm Pilot as a give-away. Scott Elmshauser will purchase the Palm Pilot and take it to Rose by September 6, 2003.

PFLA Website

  • Donetta reported on updates to the website and distributed copies to members. She indicated that any changes should be reported to Dana Arnett.
    • Submissions to go on the web should be sent to Dana.

President's Welcome Reception

  • President's Welcome Reception to be held at President Ray's house on Brooklane drive, 5-6:30pm, October 27, 2003.
    • Notices will be sent out the 2nd week of October.
    • Laurel agreed to work with Carol on appetizers, wine, and beer (ask Carol), with a budget of about $350 - $500.00 (ask Joy or check Treasurer report)
    • We ask for 150 invitations but don't expect that many attendees.

Union Challenges

  • We discussed Union challenges of Professional positions and H.R.'s help with that process.

Conclusion

  • Decisions

    • Board decided to purchase the Palm Pilot for a giveaway at University Day
    • Board decided that we needed a quorum from the board to determine whether or not to cc: the membership on the letter to White and Randhawa.
  • New commitments as of 9/3/03

    • Rose agreed to query the board about cc: to members on letter.
    • Rose agreed to try and contact Will Kein about doing a seminar.
    • Donetta asked for Professional Development opportunities.
    • Rose agreed to send it to her.
    • Donetta agreed to make PFLA nametags with board members and titles for University Day.
    • Scott Elmshauser will purchase the Palm Pilot and take it to Rose by September 6, 2003.
    • Rose will check times for October 1, when we meet, when White and Randhawa will be there.
    • Rose will schedule the pre-meeting of board members.
    • Laurel agreed to work with Carol on appetizers, wine, and beer (ask Carol), with a budget of about $350–$500.00 (ask Joy or check Treasurer report)
  • Remaining commitments from prior meetings

    • Sandy agreed to create a form for members to complete to share their name and area of specialty, also hobbies/interests.
    • Karel agreed to collect the information from members and create the database.
    • Rose agreed to contact some of the groups listed above and get on their agendas. WORKING
    • Finalize retreat commitments - WORKING
  • Commitments from 8-6-03 completed

    • Rose agreed to check Drs. Randhawa and White schedules for a time to meet. DONE
    • Donetta and Karel agreed to draft questions for Drs. Randhawa and White. DONE

Meeting adjourned at 2:45 pm.

Contact Info

Copyright ©  2014 Oregon State University
Disclaimer