Karel J. H. Murphy Professional Faculty Leadership and Service Award
2015 Nomination Packets Due: Thursday, April 7, 2016
The Karel J. H. Murphy Professional Faculty Leadership and Service Award recognizes a professional faculty member who has provided outstanding leadership and service throughout their career both within their Department and in programs and organizations across Oregon State University. The award also honors a legacy of providing ongoing, strategic, and progressive leadership, administrative support and service among Professional Faculty and other OSU employees. This award was created by PFLA and the Dean of Engineering in order to memorialize the legacy of Karel J. H. Murphy, and recognizes professional faculty who unselfishly provide and model ongoing exceptional leadership, support and service to the OSU community. The award winner will be presented a plaque and a $1000 check at University day.
Eligibility for this award is limited to fixed-term Professional Faculty who fall within the categories of administrative support, computer/technical support and /or development support. The successful nominee will have a minimum of 5 years continuous service as a professional faculty member at OSU. Preference will be given to those with 10 or more years of continuous professional faculty service. Nomination packets should be emailed in PDF format and include a letter of nomination of up to three pages, as well as three additional letters of support from organizations, administrators, and/or colleagues. It is critical to the selection process that these letters include specific examples of how the nominee has demonstrated the criteria.
The individual receiving this award will have demonstrated:
- Leadership qualities as demonstrated by active participation in university and professional level committees and organizations.
- Support to an Administrator, Director or similar level position.
- Integrity with others in the work setting and when working on issues.
- Role modeling, influencing by positive example, mentoring and coaching of others.
- Significant impact on leadership styles of others and inspiring others to take on leadership roles.
- Spearheading activities and collaborations to build a healthy campus community through new ideas and/or managing change.
- Advocacy and participation in areas that support professional faculty and enhance diversity.
- Promotion of life-long learning with colleagues, as a supervisor, and/or on a personal level.
- Reputation for pursuing proactive approaches in issue management.
Please send nomination packets in PDF format via email to Michelle Mahana.
If you have any questions concerning this program, email Michelle Mahana.
Please feel free to share this information with others and post in a prominent place.
The Karel J. H. Murphy Award Selection Committee reserves the right to seek clarification of information when necessary.