- About Our Office
- Vision & Initiatives
- Multicultural Resource Guide
PROMISE: Professional and Managerial Internships in State Employment
Welcome to PROMISE!
Founded and offered annually since 1992, PROMISE is a ten-week developmental internship program designed to provide professional, managerial, or technical paid work experience and mentoring in the state, local government agencies, and university programs for Oregon State University undergraduate students.
What are our goals?
- To promote the retention and success of students, particularly those from historically under-represented groups,
- To encourage interns to see university and public employment as a potential career path,
- To provide personal and professional development through a cohort model of learning
- To enhance the diversity of applicant pools for the employment opportunities with state and local government agencies; and,
- To develop globally responsible leaders
What are the benefits of being a PROMISE intern?
We hope that interns will emerge from the program ready to navigate the employment process with confidence, and through the program develop:
- their professional development toolkits to serve them in their careers,
- a solid network of colleagues, professionals, and among their intern cohort; and,
- their confidence in the workplace.
Many who have participated in PROMISE over the years are now successful leaders, managers, program directors, and academics in a variety of fields ranging from education to agriculture and business. PROMISE alumni continue the legacy of serving historically under-represented communities and providing leadership for social change in Oregon.
PROMISE 2014 Projects
Here is the link with the current PROMISE Intern Projects
Are you interested in learning more about the interns, sponsors and projects from past years? Check out past PROMISE directories:
- March 31, 2014 (Extended): Intern applications due
- April 4, 2014: Letters of recommendation due
- April 9, 2014 (Extended): Sponsor applications due
- End of April - Early May, 2014: Candidates interview with sponsors
- Month of May, 2014: Final Selection
- June 23, 2014: First day of PROMISE 2014/Intern and Sponsor orientation and kick-off luncheon
- August 28, 2014: Poster Galleria and Recognition Luncheon
- August 29, 2014: Last day of PROMISE 2014
- Join Friends of the OSU PROMISE Internship Program on Facebook