- About Our Office
- Vision & Initiatives
Accelerated Search Policy for Unclassified Positions
A Business Center Human Resources Manager may authorize an accelerated search when:
- an immediate need to fill a position exists or,
- a position to be filled has a narrow constituency or focus of accountability, or
- recruiting candidates for a position requires strict confidentiality;
- the manager determines an accelerated search is in the best interests of the University, and
- the selection process proposed is consistent with the guidelines established in these procedures.
An accelerated search is not a routine substitute for a regular search and approval to conduct an accelerated search shall be granted only in exceptional cases.
An accelerated search includes the basic requirements of a regular search: inviting candidates to be considered for the position; conducting outreach to women and people of color; considering all qualified candidates; and selecting the best qualified person for the position.
An accelerated search may differ from a regular search by:
- shortening the time frame for inviting applications (2 weeks or less); and
- limiting the distribution of the announcement of the opening; and/or
- collecting/considering and dispositioning applications outside the online application system; and/or
- narrowing the participation of the search committee; and/or
- focusing on identifying one finalist to be interviewed.
An accelerated search does involve a search committee, usually consisting of 3-7 members, who typically
- participate in reviewing the position qualifications and recruitment plan,
- engage in focused outreach recruiting,
- discuss principal considerations in the screening process,
- review and provides input regarding the qualifications of the top 3-5 candidates including the finalist(s) to be interviewed as identified by the hiring official,
- participate in the interview(s) of the finalist(s) for the position,
- provide assessment of strengths and weaknesses to the hiring official.
(Revised 12 July 2012)