- Int'l Programs
- Int'l Degree & Education Abroad
- Int'l Student Advising & Services
- Int'l Scholar & Faculty Services
Social Security Information
Social Security Numbers
An international visitor must be employed by OSU to be eligible for a Social Security Number. International employees applying for a Social Security Number (SSN) card must apply in person at a Social Security Administration (SSA) office. The closest SSA to OSU is in Albany, Oregon. International employees must check in with ISFS before they apply for a Social Security Number.
The Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) advises that applicants for a social security card should be in the United States for more than ten days before going to the social security office to apply. This allows time for arrival data from the port-of-entry to be entered in the primary system that the social security administration uses for authorization validation.
At a Social Security appointment, employees will need to present the following:
- Offer letter from the department for which you will be working
- Current I-94 Arrival/Departure card
- Original immigration status document (DS-2019 for J-1, I-797 Approval Notice for H-1B, I-94 for TN, etc.)
- Valid passport
- One additional piece of identification (establishing identity & age)
Upon submitting the application, the scholar should request an SSA receipt as it can take 2 - 4 weeks to receive a SSN card by mail. The receipt is necessary for adding the employee to OSU's payroll.
ISFS Social Security Application Instruction Sheet: Social Security Administration (PDF).