- Int'l Programs
- Int'l Degree & Education Abroad
- Int'l Student Advising & Services
- Int'l Scholar & Faculty Services
B-1 Business Visa
Who is eligible for a B-1 Busines Visa?
- Visitors who are either a professor, scientist, university president, business executive, etc.
- The purpose of the visit is to observe, attend a conference or engage in independent research (not collaborative with OSU in any way--this requires a J-1 visa)
- Visitors who will not be employed by OSU
It is very important to realize that the B-2 visa category (Visitor for Pleasure), is not suitable for official visits to the university. OSU cannot pay visitors on a B-2 visa.
- help a visitor get a visa?
- invite a B-1 visitor to OSU?
- get library access for my visitor?
- pay a visitor?
- get more information?
- get an OSU ID for my visitor?
Prepare a letter of invitation which includes the pertinent information your visitor will need to apply for a visa. View a sample letter
Provide a clear letter of invitation for your visitor. The visitor will then take that letter, along with a valid passport to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that serves closest to the visitor's place of residence.
The United States government permits academic institutions to provide honoraria and stipends to foreign nationals who enter the U.S. in B-1 (short-term business) status. However, there are several restrictions within the law. Federal law requires that:
- the visitor is present in the U.S. in B-1 visa status
- the academic activities at OSU must not exceed nine days;
- the visitor has not accepted similar payments from more than five other U.S. institutions during the six-month period immediately preceding his/her visit to OSU.
The scholar will require an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), it is recommended that the scholar apply for the ITIN well before their arrival to the U.S. as it can take 6 weeks or longer to receive the ITIN. Information on applying for an ITIN can be found on the IRS website.
For assistance with
- Stipends and Reimbursements: contact Lisa Silbernagel, Assistant Manager in the Office of Post Award Administration
- Honorariums: contact Debora Lauer, Personal/Professional Services Coordinator in Procurement and Contract Services
Complete and submit the Visiting Scholar OSU Libraries Account Application to the Valley Library Reference Desk to sponsor library privileges for your visitor
Visitors in B-1 status are not eligible for OSU ID numbers or cards.