- Safety and Security
- Network and Phone
- Mobile Devices
What is Google Calendar?
Google Calendar is a time-management web application that allows you to view and organize your schedule across multiple devices, share your calendar with others, and much more.
How do I access Google Calendar?
You will be able to access Google Calendar by going to the Google Apps for OSU Login portal. If you are already logged into Google Apps for OSU but are using a different app, you can click Calendar at the top of any Google page.
How do I use Google Calendar?
Below are some basic tasks that can be complete using Google Calendar.
Add an event
Click on Create in the left column of your calendar. This will bring you to a page
where you can enter as much information as you’d like about your event. ON this page, you can also add guests, change a reminder setting, and publish your event to other users. Once you’ve entered the appropriate information and selected the desired settings, make sure to click Save.
Share a Calendar
With Google Calendar you can control who can see your calendars and events. When you make your calendar public, the events on that calendar are public as well meaning that people can search for it and find it in a variety of ways, including via Google Web search.
To share your Google Calendar follow these steps:
- In the calendar list on the left, click on the down-arrow button next to the appropriate calendar, then select Share this calendar.
- Select, Make this calendar public.
- If you don’t want others to view the details of your events, select see only free/busy (hide details).
- Click Save.
More information can be found at the following link, https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37083?rd=1
Customizable reminders help you stay on schedule.
Google Calendar offers different options for receiving event reminders. You can choose to receive your event reminders via SMS messages, emails or popups within Google Calendar itself.
Here is how you can customize your reminder settings:
- In the calendar list on the left, click the down-arrow button next to the appropriate calendar, and then select Reminders and Notifications.
- In the Event reminders section, select the reminder method from the drop-down menu and enter the corresponding reminder time (Between five minutes and four weeks). If you’d like to add additional default reminders, simply click Add a reminder.
- You can also choose to be notified of specific activities on the calendar by selecting the appropriate options in the Choose how you would like to be notified section.
- Click Save.
Accessing Google Calendar from your mobile device.
From an Android
- From any Calendar screen, touch Menu > Calendars to display.
- To select calendars to be synched to your phone, touch Calendars to sync at the bottom of the screen. Here you can view all calendars that are available for syncing and display, grouped by each of your accounts.
- When you’re done, touch OK.
From an iPhone
- Open the Settings application on your device's home screen
- Open Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Select Add Account
- Select Gmail
- Enter your account information:
- In the Name field, enter your name as you'd like it to appear to others
- In the Email field, enter your full Google account or Google Apps email address
- In the Password field, enter your Google Account or Google Apps password
- In the Description field, enter a description of the calendar (e.g. "Personal Calendar")
- Select Next at the top of your screen
- Make sure the Calendars option is turned on.
After you've completed setup, open the Calendar app on your device. It will being syncing automatically.
Update your Google Calendar using SMS
Out of the office and need to update your calendar? Google Calendar allows for text message updating of your calendar.
- If you want to add an event send a text message to “GVENT” (48368) with the information about the event such as “1pm meeting in Valley Library” and it will be placed in your Google Calendar and you’ll receive a text message confirming its addition.
- If you’d like to see what events you have going on today send the word “day” to “GVENT” (48368). You’ll receive a text message response containing all of your scheduled events for today.
- Text “next” to “GVENT” for your next scheduled event, or “nday” for all your events scheduled for tomorrow.
If you didn't find the answer to your question here, please visit our FAQs page.