Outlook Express 5/6
Configuring Outlook Express 5/6:
To set up Outlook Express for use with your ONID e-mail account, please take the following steps:
- Set up Outlook Express to check your ONID e-mail
- Configure Outlook Express to use the OSU Online Directory
- Make directory.oregonstate.edu your default address book
Set up Outlook Express to check your ONID e-mail
- Open Outlook Express
- Open the Tools menu and choose Accounts...
- Click the Add button and select Mail...
- Enter your name (this is what other people will see when they receive your e-mail), then click Next.
- Enter your E-mail address in the form username(at)onid.orst.edu. Click Next.
- Select IMAP from the "Incoming mail server" drop-down list.
- The Incoming mail server name is imap.onid.oregonstate.edu.
- The Outgoing mail (SMTP) server name is mail.oregonstate.edu.
- Click Next.
- Enter your ONID username in the Account name field.
- Uncheck the "Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)" box.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
- This will bring you back out to the accounts page again. Click on the Mail tab, select the newly created ONID account, and click the Properties button.
- Click the Servers tab.
- Under Outgoing Mail Server check the "My server requires authentication" box.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Under Outgoing mail (SMTP), change the port to 587, then check the "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" box.
- Under Incoming mail (IMAP), change the port to 993, then check the "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" box.
- Click OK and close the Internet Accounts window.
Outlook Express is now configured and should begin downloading your mail. To set up Outlook to use the OSU Online Directory, so you can search for users in the OSU address book, please read the instructions below:
Configure Outlook Express to use the OSU Online Directory
- Open Outlook Express.
- Click on the Tools menu and choose Accounts....
- Click on the Directory Service tab.
- Click Add and choose Directory Service... from the menu.
- Type directory.oregonstate.edu in the Internet Directory (LDAP) server field and click Next.
- Select Yes to "Do you want to check addresses using this directory service?" and click Next.
- Click Finish.
- Click on the Directory Service tab, select directory.oregonstate.edu, and click the Properties button.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- Type o=orst.edu in the Search base field.
- Click OK and Close the Internet Accounts window.
- Close Outlook Express and restart it to begin using the Online Directory
While composing a new message, click on the To: button to open the Select Recipients window. Click on the Find... button to open the Find People window. Select directory.oregonstate.edu from the Look in drop-down list. Enter a name or email address, then click the Find Now button to search. Select the correct person and click the To: -> button to add them to your new message.
To make directory.oregonstate.edu your default address book:
- Click Tools, then Accounts...
- Click on the Directory Service tab
- Click the Set Order button
- Select the directory.oregonstate.edu entry, and click the Move Up button until it is at the top
- Click the OK button, then close the accounts window