104: Voluntary Student Organization (VSO) Overview & Recognition
Section 100: Student Organizations
Effective July 1, 2010
Revised: January 24, 2013
A Voluntary Student Organization (VSO) is a student organization composed of 100% Oregon State University students that contributes to the mission and culture of the University. These organizations are recognized by the Student Events & Activities Center (or designee). The activities, events and operations of these organizations are not classified as official university business and do not represent the University unless an activity or event is sponsored by a University unit through an Event Sponsorship Agreement. VSOs have access to or may apply for certain University-controlled benefits and resources. VSOs are accountable to the University for legal compliance, fiscal responsibility, risk management and adherence to established community standards.
In order to be recognized as a Voluntary Student Organization, the organization must be under the direction and control of OSU students, meet the University’s standard of cares for all activities and events held on the Oregon State University campus and:
- Complete the registration process on an annual basis that includes:
- Submit an annual Organization Information Form.
- Submit club constitution/governing documents and any revisions.
- Agree to comply with Standards of Conduct for Recognized Student Organizations and maintain accountability for University policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Complete Risk Assessment.
- Maintain 100% OSU student membership and roster of currently active OSU student members through the online data system.
- Maintain a minimum of 4 currently enrolled OSU students.
- Maintain good standing with the University, all governing boards within the University to which the organization belongs and all chartering, sponsoring or governing organizations with whom the organization affiliates.
- Maintain financial accountability to the University for all University funds received. These funds must be maintained in an AABC agency account or Foundation Account.
- Student organization leaders must annually complete University base-line training.
- Complete event sponsorship agreements and report all events and travel sponsored by the University through the Student Organization Data in advance of the event or travel.