409: Determine What Account Code to Use
Fiscal Operations Manual
Section 400: Expenditures
- 409 Determine What Account Code to Use
- 409-01 Account Code Restrictions by Fund Type
- 409-02 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- 409-03 When to use Training account codes
To determine which account code to use on a transaction use the following considerations:
- Purpose of the transaction
- Description of account code in OUS Fiscal Policy Manual
- Information contained in OSU Fiscal Manual, especially FIS 410 section
- If the cost is for a service or other taxable transaction
- New information which is distributed from the OSU Business office via FIS Quest list serve or other source.
Most importantly, consider the purpose of the transaction. For example, food purchases could be for a nutrition class (instructional supply), workshop (conference refreshments), graduation event (hosting), or catering (for resale).
Expense Account Code Category rollups
20001 Supplies and Minor Equipment (201xx – 203xx)
21000 Agricultural Related
22500 Postage and Shipping
23300 Waste Disposal
23500 Maintenance and Repairs
24000 Rentals and Leases
24500 Fees and Services (245xx – 249xx)
25000 Medical Services and Supplies (250xx – 251xx)
28000 Assessments (280xx – 284xx)
28501 Employee Related and 1099 reportable
28600 Conferences/Entertainment and non-OUS participant support
28700 Fiscal Management Expense
28800 Debt/Investment Expense
28900 Miscellaneous Services and Supplies
39000 Travel (390xx – 397xx)
40000 Capital Outlay (includes Equipment)
50000 Student Aid
60000 Items for Resale
70000 Indirect Costs
79000 Internal Reimbursements
80500 Depreciation Expense
88000 Student Loan-related Expense
Account codes in the 5xxxx, 6xxxx, 7xxxx, 8xxxx, and 9xxxx series have restrictions and are not to be used with certain funds. See section 409-01 for details.
Account codes in the 0xxxx series are for revenue and are only used for non-OUS (cash) revenue or internal sales of Designated Operations, Service Centers, and Auxiliary Enterprises.
Although the purpose of the activity determines which account code to use, sometimes the funding source also has an influence. Having the funding source (general funds, sponsored funds, designated operations funds, or auxiliary funds) is important when processing expenses.
- If the University President rents an airplane to attend a board meeting in eastern Oregon, it should be charged to a travel account code.
- If an airplane is rented to take aerial photos of the campus, the account code to be used is for equipment rental.
- Advertising for the purpose of institutional promotion such as new students, Mom’s Weekend, or to advertise events for students is charged to account code 24612.
- Advertising for the purpose of hiring personnel, bidding on the purchase of goods or services, or sales of goods is charged to account code 24611.
- Use account code 28606 for conference facilities rental.
- Account codes 24150 (Land Rental) and 24151 (Building Rental) should only be used when paying an outside vendor. The only time they can be used on journal vouchers is a redistribution of an original vendor payment with the “I” document referenced.
- At OSU, use account code 23522 for building maintenance materials, not for equipment maintenance materials. For equipment maintenance supplies or materials use 23501 or 23523.
Many account codes are reserved for use with specific funds.
General Ledger Account Codes:
Use only a Fund with these Account codes (No Index, ORG, Program or Activity codes)
- Axxxx – Asset accounts (Do not use A0901; this is internal to Banner)
- Bxxxx – Liability accounts
- Cxxxx – Control accounts (Do not use; internal to Banner)
- Dxxxx – Fund balances (Do not use; internal to Banner)
- E0xxx – Fund additions (Contact Business Affairs before using)
- F0xxx – Fund deductions (Contact Business Affairs before using)
Operating Ledger Account Codes:
- 0xxxx – Revenue Account Codes
011xx-019xx Tuition and Student Fees - General fund only.
02xxx Appropriations - 0011xx, 030xxx, 034xxx funds only.
03xxx Gifts, Grants, Contracts - Restricted funds only (fund type 3x).
07xxx Medical Services - only on Student Health funds.
09xxx Internal Sales income - only on 05xxxx, 09xxxx,1xxxxx funds.
Do not use with Cash deposits.
- 1xxxx – Payroll related expenses
101xx -106xx salary - not allowed on 9xxxxx agency funds.
109xx OPE – not allowed on 9xxxxx agency funds.
1095x Graduate Tuition Remissions – not allowed on 9xxxxx agency funds.
- 2xxxx – Supplies & services
20190 testing group incentive – usually only on grants.
23522 maintenance materials – use for building maintenance only.
2490x designated operations support – general & gift funds only.
28629 and 2863x participant support – usually only on grant funds; includes payments to/for Post Docs.
- 3xxxx – Travel and Subcontracts
39492 speaker travel – only allowed on grants.
399xx subcontracts – only allowed on grants.
- 4xxxx – Capital Expenditures
4010x equipment – not allowed to remain on 1xxxxx Auxiliaries or 09xxxx Service Centers funds at year end.
Cost must be capitalized to A8xxx account codes.
- 5xxxx – Student Aid
51xxx, 52xxx scholarships – not allowed on E&G funds or grants. Gift funds only, e.g. OSUF FSxxxx funds.
53xxx Grants-in-aid – YIA and FSxxxx Athletic indexes only.
55xxx participant support and 59xxx other student aid – not allowed on E&G funds. Cost only allowed on grants and gift funds. Participant must be a registered OUS student. 286xx codes are used for Post Docs, visiting faculty stipends and non-OUS students.
- 6xxxx – Merchandise for Resale
Only allowed on Auxiliary enterprise and Service Center funds.
- 7xxxx – Indirect costs
70003 Designated Ops Administrative costs.
70005 Facilities and Administrative (indirect) cost.
Do not use. This is internally generated by Banner.
- 8xxxx – Student Loans
Do not use. For Business Affairs only
- 9xxxx - Transfers
Generally, must be between the same Fund Type.
Contact Business Affairs before use.
91501 & 92501 Cost share transfers. These are internally generated by Banner. Do not use.
A matrix depicting specific account code restrictions can be found at FIS-Ex003-13.
See the FAQ's link on the Business Affairs website for additional information
A Powerpoint, Demystifying Account Codes is available for your review.
There are a series of account codes that identify training costs; 29xxx Training series and 39x16 Travel account codes.
Use 29040 Training Registration account code (instead of 28601 Conference Registration) when the conference, workshop, or class enhances the ability of the person attending in the performance of their duties; or academic course credit (including CPE credits) is given.
- Computer software applications training
- Supervisory or other human resource training
- Organizational skills
- Writing skills
- Grant Fundamentals workshop
- WACUBO management skills workshops
When travel is required to attend the types of training identified above, use appropriate 39416, 39516, or 39616 account codes for those expenses.