skip page navigationOregon State University
 
University Events - OSU - Oregon 150University Events - OSU - Oregon 150
University Events » Oregon 150 at OSU

History of OSU



Founded in 1858 as a small, private academy, Oregon State University has developed into a major teaching, research and public service institution.

1858

Corvallis College is founded and maintained by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

1865

College-level courses are introduced into the curriculum.

1868

Corvallis College is designated “the agricultural college of the state of Oregon ” and begins receiving partial state support.

With this designation, the Oregon legislature accepts the provisions of the Morrill Act of 1862, which provided grants of land to be used by the states for the sole purpose of endowing, supporting and maintaining publicly controlled colleges.

1870

Agriculture is added to the existing arts and science curriculum.

Two men and one woman fulfill the requirements for baccalaureate degrees, becoming the first graduates of a state-assisted college in the western United States .

1880

Professorship in Commerce is added.

1883

Department of Agriculture is added, the first in the Pacific Northwest .

1885

The state assumes full control, and the college is renamed Oregon Agricultural College (OAC).

1889

Professorships in Engineering and Household Economy are added.

1901

Self-sustaining Department of Music is established.

1906

Four-year Forestry curriculum is established.

1908

Professional schools of Agriculture, Commerce, Engineering and Mechanic Arts and Domestic Science and Art are established.

The first summer session is held.

1913

School of Forestry and School of Mines are established.

1917

School of Pharmacy is established.

1918

School of Vocational Education is established.

1922

School of Basic Arts and Sciences is established.

1927

Oregon Agricultural College is renamed Oregon State Agricultural College

1931

School of Health and Physical Education is established.

1932

Institution name is changed to Oregon State College by common usage.

The Oregon State Board of Higher Education establishes the School of Science for the state system at Corvallis .

School of Mines and major work in business administration are discontinued.

School of Health and Physical Education is reduced to a division.

1943

Business returns to the curriculum with establishment of the Division of Business and Industry.

1945

Division is renamed School of Business and Industry.

1959

School of Humanities and Social Sciences is established.

1961

Oregon State College is renamed Oregon State University .

1972

Department of Oceanography is renamed the School of Oceanography ; it is later expanded to the College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences.

1973

School of Science is re-designated as the College of Science .

School of Humanities and Social Sciences is re-designated as the College of Liberal Arts .

1974

School of Health and Physical Education is reestablished.

1975

Department of Veterinary Medicine is re-designated as the School of Veterinary Medicine ; it is later renamed the College of Veterinary Medicine .

1983

All schools except the School of Education are re-designated as colleges.

1989

School of Education is renamed College of Education .

1991

College of Education merges with the College of Home Economics .

1995

University Honors College is established.

2002

College of Health and Human Performance merges with the College of Home Economics and Education to form the College of Health and Human Sciences.

School of Education becomes an independent academic unit.

2005

School of Education becomes College of Education .



Presidents of the institution since its founding are:



•  William A. Finley, 1865-72; Joseph Emery, 1872 (acting)

•  Benjamin L. Arnold, 1872-92; John D. Letcher, 1892 (acting)

•  John M. Bloss, 1892-96

•  Henry B. Miller, 1896-97

•  Thomas M. Gatch, 1897-1907

•  William Jasper Kerr, 1907-32; George Wilcox Peavy, 1932-34 (acting)

•  George Wilcox Peavy, 1934-40

•  Frank Llewellyn Ballard, 1940-41; Francois Archibald Gilfillan, 1941-42 (acting)

•  August Leroy Strand, 1942-61

•  James Herbert Jensen, 1961-69; Roy Alton Young, 1969-70 (acting)

•  Robert William MacVicar, 1970-84

•  John V. Byrne, 1984-95

•  Paul G. Risser, 1996-2002; Timothy P. White, 2003 (Interim President)

•  Edward J. Ray, August 2003-present.



For more details, see osulibrary.oregonstate.edu/archives/chronology/chron_head.html .

For the Best of OSU Archives, see digitalcollections.library.oregonstate.edu/cdm4/client/archives/index.html .

 






 


Shelly Houghtaling
University Events
Oregon State University
205 Adams Hall
Corvallis, Oregon 97331
541-737-0724
EmailContact us

 
 
Copyright © 2006 Oregon State University | Disclaimer

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional  Valid CSS!