Spiraea prunifolia 'Plena' Rosaceae
Bridalwreath Spirea sp-i-RE-a pru-ni-FO-li-a
- Deciduous shrub, 4-9 ft (1.2-2.4 m), open, leggy, wide as tall, stems slightly zig-zag. Leaves small ( 2.5 x 1.3 cm) alternate, simple, elliptic-oblong, lustrous dark green, red or orange brown in fall. Flowers double, white, with touches of green, 8 mm across, in clusters of 3-6, may cover leafless stems in spring (April).
- Hardy to USDA Zone 4 Species native to Korea, China, and Taiwan.
- Bridalwreath Spirea: both S. ´ vanhouttei and S. prunifolia 'Plena' are known by this name.
- Corvallis: small plant in SE area of Central Park.
- Oregon State Univ. campus: SE Gilkey Hall