Rhododendron President Roosevelt Ericaceae
President Roosevelt Rhododendron ro-doe-DEN-dron
- Broadleaf evergreen shrub, sprawling habit, may reach 5 ft (1.5 m) in 10 years, branches weak, leaves thick, glossy, irregular yellow-green variegation in the center. Flowers strong red at edges with white centers, 17-24 per conical cluster.
- -0o F, early-mid; quality rating: 4/4/3 [flower / plant & foliage / performance; scale 1 (poor) - 5 (best)].
- Partial shade, especially in the afternoon.
- As with many veriegated plants, an occasional shoot of 'President Roosevelt' may appear with leaves
that are not veriegated, i.e., it has reverted to its non-mutant characteristic. If this reverted
shoot is not pruned out, in time, the non-veriegated growth will become the major portion of the shrub, such as shown here.
- Originated in Holland, before 1930, but is of unknown parentage.