Lutescens Rhododendron ro-do-DEN-dron lu-TES-enz
- Broadleaf evergreen shrub, 3-7 ft (1-2 m), loose, upright habit, stems and branches with smooth, brown, flaking bark. Leaves 4-9 cm long, 1.3-3.8 cm wide, lanceolate, long slender point, tapered base, dark green above and paler and more scaly below. New growth is bronzy. Flowers pale yellow, singly or in pairs, broadly funnel shaped, 2.5 cm wide, 10 protruding stamens.
- 5o F, middle-late; quality rating: 4/3/3-4 [flower / plant & foliage / performance; scale 1 (poor) - 5 (best)]. Sun to part shade.
- Native to China, western Szechwan and northeastern Yunnan.
- lutescens: becoming yellow.
- Oregon State Univ. campus: west side of Gilkey Hall