Rhododendron argyrophyllum ssp. nankingense Chinese Silver
Chinese Silver Rhododendron rho-do-DEN-dron ar-gi-ro-FIL-um nan-KING-en-se
- Broadleaf evergreen shrub, 5 ft (1.5m) in 10 years, finally to 10 ft (3 m) high with somewhat less spread. Leaves alternate, simple, oblong, 5-10 cm long, leathery, upper surface glossy green, lower surface silvery. Flowers in lax clusters, funnel-bell shaped, 5 lobed, about 5 cm across, white and pink, darker on outside of lobes.
- 0o F, early-early-mid, 3/5 [flower / plant & foliage; scale 1 (poor) - 5 (best)].
- Native to China, a clone, Chinese Silver, was given an Award of Garden Merit by the Royal Hort. Soc. in 1933.
- argyrophyllum: argyro-, silver, -phyllum, leaved; i.e., with silver leaves. nankingense: from Nanking, China.
- Federal Way, Washington, Rhododendron Species and Botanical Garden.