Magnolia Randy Magnoliaceae
Randy Magnolia mag-NO-li-a
- Deciduous shrub/tree, slow growing to 10-15 ft (3-4.5 m), 12 ft (3.5 m) wide; open branched narrow habit, leaves mid-green, ovate. Midseason blooming, flowers star-cup-shaped, 7.5-10 cm wide, buds red-purple, erect, petals (tepals) red-purple, pinkish-white interiors, 9-11, subulate to spatulate, 5-7.5 cm long, 1.2-2.2 cm wide, stamens 50-70, red-purple.
- Sun to light shade. Best in loam soil with adequate moisture, but tolerates poorly drained, heavy clay soils or dry areas.
- Hardy to USDA Zone 3
- Developed at the U.S. National Arboretum from a cross of M. liliflora 'Nigra' x M. stellata 'Rosea' (NA 28346; PI 326572) (Dudley & Kosar, Morris Arb. Bull. 19: 28. 1968). Randy is one of a group of eight magnolia developed from crosses of M. liliflora × M. stellata made at the Arboretum in 1955 and 1956 by William F. Kosar and Dr. Francis de Vos. All are F1 hybrids and reported to be sterile triploid selections. These eight plants, known affectionately as 'The Girls', were selected and named by William F. Kosar and released in 1968. The others are 'Ann', 'Betty', 'Judy', 'Ricki', 'Susan', 'Jane' and 'Pinkie'.