Eucalyptus urnigera Myrtaceae
Urn Gum eu-ka-LIP-tus
- Evergreen tree, 20-45 ft (6-14 m) tall, fast growing; bark smooth, white-gray or yellow-brown. Juvenile leaves simple, opposite, sessile, orbicular, pale blue to green, similar color on both sides; adult leaves simple, alternate, 5-9 × 1.2-2.5 cm, lanceolate, acute tip, thick, green or slightly glaucous. Flowers white, in small clusters. Fruit urn shaped (urceolate), about 15 × 9 mm.
- Sun, well-drained soil, light moisture.
- Hardy to USDA Zone 8 Native to southeastern Tasmania, to altitudes about 3,000 ft (900 m).
- urnigera: urn-bearing, a reference to the urn shaped fruit.
- Silverton, Oregon: The Oregon Garden.