skip page navigationOregon State University
OSU HomeCalendarFind SomeoneMapsSite Index

Graduate School.

OSU Home » Graduate School » Faculty & Staff » Funding Policies » Changing from Graduate Assistant to Graduate Fellow Status.

Changing from Graduate Assistant to Graduate Fellow Status

While graduate assistantships remain the most common form of graduate student funding at OSU, the dynamic nature of federal and institutional resources has prompted the delivery of graduate student financial support through multiple pathways. An increasing number of advanced degree students receive all or part of their financial support through fellowships and traineeships. Financial support for any given student is often comprised of a blend of intermingled assistantship, fellowship, and traineeship periods throughout the student's degree program. As the type of financial support changes, the graduate student's need for continuation of health insurance benefits remains constant.

Beginning fall 2009, graduate students who migrate from an assistantship to a fellowship (or vice versa) without a gap in sequential appointment will not be required to submit a new health insurance enrollment or waiver form. Questions concerning health insurance enrollment should be directed to Student Health Services,, (541) 737-7568.