1107 Journal Vouchers
Fiscal Operations Manual
Section 1100: Banner Processes
The purpose of a journal voucher (JV) is to process internal transactions and corrections between or within units at Oregon State University (OSU). JVs are also used for transactions between OSU units and other universities in the Oregon University System (OUS) or the Chancellor’s Office.
- JV’s involving only OSU Departments are created on form FGAJVCD in FIS Banner.
- Inter-Institutional JV’s are processed centrally through Business Affairs upon submittal of the approved Inter-Institutional Transaction JV (IIJV) form found on the OSCAR website.
- Budget JVs are used to move or transfer budget amounts between indexes or budget line items. These JV’s are initiated by an individual college or unit, the Office of Budgets and Fiscal Planning, or the Office of Post Award Administration (OPAA). Budget changes can only be made between indexes/funds within the same Fund Type.
- Manual encumbrance JVs reserve a future budgetary expense or clear encumbrance balances which did not liquidate in the payment process.
- Some "journal vouchers" are completed by an automated upload process and are not individually entered in Banner.
In order to produce meaningful financial reports, it is important that significant revenue and cost items are recognized during the month in which they occur and costs are reflected against the revenue-producing activity for which they were incurred. Therefore, journal vouchers should be processed in the month the activity happens.
Primary JV rule codes
3BCx (the rule code for each business center)
- Original transactions between one unit and another such as testing services
- Distribution of unit copy machine costs
- Correction or addition of Activity Codes
- Correction of other FOAPAL elements (index or account code)
- Entries are limited to the following Account Codes: 09xxx, 2xxxx, 3xxxx, 79xxx
- General Ledger “A” asset and “B” liability account transactions
- Transactions involving 01xxx – 08xxx revenue (F document reference is required)
- Transactions involving 4xxxx capital equipment and construction account codes – except for if on grant/contract funds, which should use 3GNT
- Transfers (9xxxx account codes) between funds
- General Ledger “E” and “F” fund additions/deduction transactions
- Corrections to or from grant/contract funds
- Distinguishing grant funds: Index and Fund both begin with a letter
Commonly Used Rule Codes (Journal Types):
2ENC - Manual Encumbrance Establishment JV
2LIQ - Liquidate Remaining Encumbrances
2LQP - Partial Liquidation of Encumbrance
4ENC - Revenue/Expense JV with Encumbrance Liquidation
1xGF - Departmental Budget change (E&G only)
1PBB - Grant Budget Change (expenditure only)
Text is required on all Journal Vouchers. Text must contain sufficient information as to the purpose of the JV transaction, as well as, the name (first and last), and phone number of the person inputting the JV. No text or the lack of clear information will cause the JV to be disapproved. For corrections involving grants and contracts (3GNT rule code), specific detailed information is required. See Grant, Contract & Gift Accounting (GCG) Manual for these requirements.
Use the same rule code on all sequences of a Journal Voucher.
An Index must be entered whenever Operating Ledger revenue (0xxxx) or expense (1xxxx through 9xxxx) account codes are used. The Fund, ORG, and Program codes will automatically be populated when the Index is entered.
An Index must not be entered when General Ledger account codes Axxxx, Bxxxx, Exxxx, Fxxxx are used. In this case, enter only FUND, Account Code, and amount.
Use Debit or Credit in the indicated field, unless it is a budget JV. For budget JVs use + or -.
Explain in the Description field what the transaction is for. Do not simply enter "See Text." Details should be provided which fully explains the transaction. Use the Text block to included additional information.
If correcting a posted Banner document, enter the document number in the Document Reference field. Examples of the letter the document reference number will start with include:
|F||Student A/R and Cashier Operations||I||Invoices|
|P||Purchase Orders||VC||Chemistry Stores|
||VP||Printing and Mailing
|VM||Transportation Services (Motor Pool)||VV||Veterinary Medicine|
|Z||Purchasing Card Distributions|
The Document Reference field must be completed when the same account code is debited and credited, when redistributing amounts from one account code to another, and/or when adding or changing an activity code. The reference must be a Banner document number and be the last I-doc or JV number for the transaction. If there is no Banner document reference number, the reason must be stated in the text of the JV.
For FUPLOADs, the document reference field is a unique number from the external system where the data is pulled. [For example, Cashiers (F-docs) use the deposit number from the Cashiering system, Conference Services will use the registration I.D. captured through their Event Registration system, etc.]
The Budget Period field is required if rule code/journal type begins with 1 (Budget JVs). The budget period field is 01 through 12. Do not complete the budget period field for other journal voucher types.
Some Journal Voucher Dos and Don'ts
When preparing a JV involving meals or refreshments, supply the following information:
- Who - Approximate number of people attending and who approved the purchase
- What - Purchased or payment for
- When - Date of the meeting
- Where - Location of the meeting
- Why - Purpose of the meeting
- Payroll transfers cannot be done on a journal voucher. This includes GRA/GTA Insurance and Recruitment & Retention payments. These transactions must be processed through Payroll by use of a Labor Distribution Form.
- Donations and contributions cannot be made from institutional funds. These include donations to the OSU Scholarship funds. JV’s indicating donations will be disapproved.
- Parking fines and book fines may not be paid from institutional funds. This includes parking fines assigned to state vehicles. Also, parking permits for individual employees whose duty station is OSU Corvallis campus may not be paid from institutional funds. JV’s for these will be disapproved.
- When distributing a cost from one index to another, the debit and credit account code must be the same and equal the account code on the original payment. Document reference is the “I” document of the original invoice. Also, indicate in Text that this is a distribution of an original cost.
Example: 20 boxes of paper were purchased to receive a huge discount. The unit only needed 8 boxes. They “sell” (distribute) the cost of 12 boxes to the unit down the hall. The original purchase was made using 20101 Office supplies account code. Redistribution is made using the 20101 account code as both the debit and credit for 60% (12/20) of the original cost.
- OSU units with E&G, AES, FRL, or Extension funds use 79xxx Internal Sales Reimbursements account codes as the credit when recharging costs to different indexes within OSU for established processes or services. Example: distribution of monthly copy charges to various departmental indexes – use account code 79107 as the credit and 24602 as the debit or charge. Internal sales credits are not allowed on grant/contract, gift, endowment/endowment-match, E&G special project, or OSU Foundation/Ag Research Foundation pass-through funds. The JV should be completed by the charging department or unit, not the receiving department.
- In most cases, internal sales of self-support units/fund (Designated Operations, Service Centers, or Auxiliary Enterprises use 09xxx account codes as the credit on JVs When both sides of the transaction are Auxiliary funds use 79xxx as the account code for the credit. The JV should be completed by the charging unit, not the unit receiving the goods or services.
- When moving revenue (0xxxx account codes) the “F” document code must be given. This shows that the dollars came from an outside source. It is not allowed to change an income/revenue account code to an expense account code.