Fresh Market Blackberry Cost Study
A new study is available on the costs and returns of establishing and maintaining erect blackberry (e.g., ‘Ouachita’) for organic production in Oregon. The information used for this cost study came from organic research trial results at Oregon State University and grower experience. The cost study was developed by Olya Rysin, Dept. Agricultural and Resource Economics, North Carolina State University and Bernadine Strik, Department of Horticulture, Oregon State University. We appreciate the valuable input from our grower collaborators, Javier Fernandez-Salvador (Ph.D. candidate), and Amanda Vance (Faculty Research Assistant). This study was part of a grant from the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture (Formula Grant no. OREI 2010-01940; ORE00409).
This cost study is provided in excel file format where growers can edit the numbers to make it more relevant for their situation. Please refer to the “Cover” and “Assumptions” sheets in the file for more information – Bernadine Strik, Extension Berry Crops Professor, OSU
See What We Are Working On
- New! OSU Blueberry School 2015: Links to proceedings articles. If you missed any portion of Blueberry School last March, click here to see a list of topics you can click on for more information.
- Recently revised: Cranberries, a nutrient management guide for south coastal Oregon
- Organic Blackberry Webinar featuring Drs. Bernadine Strik, Dave Bryla, and Luis Valenzuela. A recording and pdf handout of slides are available online. While this webinar highlights findings from a certified organic blackberry research study, results should be of interest to all blackberry growers.
- Northwest Berry & Grape Information Network
The Northwest Berry & Grape Information Network is the most comprehensive information and communications resource for berry and grape production practices, research, and marketing.
- Nutrient Management of Berry Crops in Oregon (pdf)
- Berry production publications (Use the search box in the upper right corner, or click on 'Agriculture' from the Browse by Topics list on the right, then choose 'Berries and Grapes')
- Economics of berry production publications
- Access to all of Bernadine Strik's published papers and Extension publications is available from her faculty page in the Department of Horticulture at Oregon State University.
- Pesticide Updates by crop & Spotted Wing Drosophila Management (OR and WA), Jan, 2015