The North Willamette Research and Extension Center values the people and places where we live and work. We are involved in our local community in many ways.
- Neighbors follow news about NWREC in The Charbonneau Villager, a monthly newspaper from the local community of Charbonneau. Regular news releases are distributed to the news media throughout the North Willamette Valley, too, about our programs and activities.
- NWREC annually hosts a Community Open House for the public in the mid summer. Educational displays and demonstrations showcase the unique work and programs at the Center. Local farmers provide complimentary fresh vegetables. Attendees can taste different vareities of berries, take a hayride tour of the Center--and, even, drive a tractor!
- Community tours are offered monthly at NWREC during the summer months (May through October) as an opportunity for individuals, families, and organizations to come and see what we do and the impacts of our agricultural research and education. Call for more information or to book your tour.
- NWREC provides annual Farm Tractor Safety and Certification programs (usually 3-4 classes per year) for youth and adults throughout the region--including the new tractor owner/operator "back yard farmers."
- We are members of Wilsonville Chamber of Commerce and participate in business community events--including hosting the Chamber at NWREC for their "after hours" events.
- NWREC is a Friend of the Wilsonville Library.
- NWREC hosts the monthly meetings of the French Prairie Forum--bringing together elected officials throughout the North Valley.
- The City of Portland maintains their native plant restoration seed bank at NWREC.
- NWREC values our dedicated volunteers and provides opportunites for service. OSU Master Gardners help pick berries on research plots where careful attention to detail is necessary. Volunteers are welcome to serve as Community Tour leaders working with the public and sharing our story and to assist with landscape care and maintenance.
- NWREC provides unique intern opportunites for high school and college students to work side-by-side with our faculty and their research and education projects.
Are you interested in vounteer service at the North Willamette Research and Extension Center? Call us TODAY!