Frequently Asked Questions about Alcohol and Drugs

Q: How do I know if I am using too much?

A: Defining whether or not you have a problem with alcohol and other drugs can be difficult at times.  The more we use the more our thinking gets all messed up.  Some questions to ask yourself include:

  • Does it take more to get a buzz then it has in the past?
  • Have you attempted to reduce your use and failed?
  • Do you spend a lot of time recovering from your use or are you able to handle your alcohol well and drink your friends under the table?
  • Has alcohol or other drugs negatively affected your social, work or leisure activities?
  • Have you continued to use despite knowing that your use was causing physical or psychological difficulties?
  • Do you use more often or longer then planned?
  • Have you experienced repeated legal problems due to substance use?

If you answered YES to TWO or more of these questions, you may be experiencing difficulties with you substance use.  If you are interested in knowing more about where you compare with other college students with your substance use you may want complete the e-CHUG assessment.  All screenings are free of charge and confidential.

Q: What if I want to reduce my use but not stop all together?

A: Moderation management or harm reduction seeks to reduce the harm associated with alcohol use without striving for abstinence.  Click here to learn more.

Q: What if I am looking to stop altogether from alcohol and other drug use?

A: There are numerous organizations that are there to help those who are interested in exploring a life free of alcohol and other drugs.  The following organizations are Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, SMART recovery, Marijuana Anonymous, Sex Addiction Anonymous, just to name a few.  If you are really interested and not sure what to do, make an appointment with a CAPS counselor and they can help you sort through your options. 

Q: Can I have a social life without drinking alcohol or using other drugs?

A: Yes! There are numerous things you can do to not feel like the odd person out at social events, There are also many chemical free events, school involvement activities, meeting other substance free students, and ways of feeling comfortable in your own skin while you are out kicking it with your friends. 

Q: What if I am concerned about a family member and friend and their substance use?

A: Helping someone else is not always easy as they may not see their use in a rational or detached way that you do.  This can be scary especially if the person you care about is out of control and in a self-destruct mode.  Again there are many organizations that can help, Al-Anon, Adult Children of Alcoholics, Children of Alcoholics, Al-Anon for teens, and going and talking to a counselor.  You can always make an appointment with a CAPS counselor and sort through your options and discuss ways to take care of yourself.

Resources     Back     Next