- Broadleaf evergreen or semi-evergreen shrub, to 3 ft (90 cm) high, low spreading, horizontal branches (more spreading than L. nitida). Leaves opposite, simple, ovate to oblong-laceolate, 13-32 mm long, entire, tapered at base, lustrous dark green above, pale green below, (larger and more elongated than leaves of L. nitida). Flowers small, yellowish-white, fragrant, blooms in spring. Fruit translucent, 6 mm diam., violet-black berries.
- Sun to part shade. Well-drained soil. Takes salt spray. Readily root from cuttings.
- Hardy to USDA Zone 6 Native to China.
- pileata: cap-shaped, the fruit.
- Oregon State Univ. campus: north side of Kidder Hall.