Lithodora diffusa (syn. Lithospermum diffusum) Boraginaceae
Lithodora lith-o-DO-ra di-FEW-sa
- Broadleaf evergreen, herbaceous, prostrate ground cover, 10-15 x 60-90 cm. Leaves alternate, simple, 6-25 mm long, narrow, hairy on both side. Flowers 13 mm long, deep blue (iridescent), at the ends of stems.
- Sun, good drainage, required acid soils for best performance (called Acidsoil Lithodora in Europe)(P & R, vol. 1, 173, picture)
- Hardy to USDA Zone (6) 7 Native to southern Europe.
- Two popular cultivar are, 'Heavenly Blue' and 'Grace Wade' (Volume 4: Herbaceous Ornamental Plants).
- Oregon State Univ. campus: Hort Garden, west side, near walk.