Oregon State University
Veterans Connection Program

Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

When applying for vocational rehabilitation benefits, contact the Portland Regional Office to work directly with a local VA counselor. The application, VA form 22-1900, is available on the Veterans ON-line APPlication (VONAPP) website. You may choose to print VA Form 28-1900, Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation, from the Forms page, complete it, and mail it to the VA regional office that serves your area.

How Can I get an education plan to provide to my vocational rehabilitation counselor?

  • The first step is to apply to Oregon State University. By providing your DD214 to the OSU admissions office you can have your application fee and Advanced Tuition Deposit deferred.
  • Next, have official transcripts of any college level transfer coursework sent to the OSU admissions office for evaluation. It can take up to 6 weeks for your transcripts to be evaluated once they have been received by Oregon State University Admissions.
  • Once you transcripts have been reviewed by the admissions office, an academic advisor for your program major can work with you to develop a course plan.

Once your vocational rehabilitation benefits have been approved, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) will send an authorization form to Oregon State University so that you may receive benefits (this applies only if you are enrolled at OSU).

Once you are enrolled, the VA certifying official will certify your enrollment to your VA counselor.

You must inform the OSU Registrar’s Office if you increase or reduce your credit load and fall under a different payment rate category.

For more information from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) about Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits, please visit the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Service webpage or call the VA toll free at 1 (800) 827-1000.