Oregon State University
Veterans Connection Program

HB 2158 and 2787 Nonresident Veteran Tuition/Fees Program

HB 2158 - Instate Tuition and Fees for Sutdent Veterans

On Monday, July 29, 2013 Governor John Kitzhaber signed into law HB 2158. Within HB 2158 are changes to ORS 351.656 – Oregon Veteran's Dependent Tuition Waiver Program. The changes are as follows;

  1. A child, adopted child, or a stepchild of an individual in receipt of a Purple Heart may now be eligible for the Dependents Tuition Waiver. A Purple Heart recipient is defined as a person alive or deceased, who:

    • Was relieved or discharged from service in the Armed Forces of the United States with either an honorable or general discharge under honorable conditions discharge; and
    • Was awarded the Purple Heart in 2001 or thereafter for wounds received in combat.
  2. The amount of tuition waived under this section may be reduced by the amount of any federal aid scholarships, or grants, awards from the Oregon Opportunity Grant program established under ORS 348.205, or any other aid from the eligible post-secondary institution, received by the qualified student(OSU will not reduce the tuition waiver by the amount of a student's PELL/SEOG or the Oregon Opportunity Grant. We will reduce the award amount by remission funded scholarship programs such as the Academic Achievement Award, the Diversity Achievement award being received by the qualified student.)
  3. The amount of tuition waived under the Dependents Tuition Waiver may not be reduced by the amount of any Survivors and Dependents' Educational Assistance under 38 USC Chapter 35 paid to a qualified student.

The following documentation provides verification that an individual received the Purple Heart medal.

  1. Any Member of the DD Form 214 - Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (with exception of Member 1 which does not show character of service).
  2. DD Form 215 - Correction to DD Form 214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.
  3. Military Orders showing awarding of the Purple Heart Medal can be used as evidence provided a DD Form 214 or DD  Form 215 with Honorable or General Under Honorable Conditions is presented as well.

To apply for this waiver, complete the Oregon Veteran's Dependents Tuition Waiver Form and submit form and all supporting documents to the VA Certifying Officials

In addition, HB2158 made the following changes to ORS 352.375-Tuition for nonresident students who served in Armed Forces:

  1. Added General "Under Honorable Conditions" to the category of discharges allowed for the Veteran Status.
  2. After September 15, 2013 allows newly enrolled Veteran to a community college or university to be biled in state tuition and fees provided they prove physical presence in Oregon within one year of enrolling.

to apply for this benifit complete the Exemption from Nonresident Tuition Form and all supporting documents in person to the VA Certifying Officials.

HB 2787 - Tuition Equity

On April 2, 2013, Governor John Kitzhaber signed HB 2787 into law, directing the State Board of Higher Education to allow students who are not citizens or lawful permanent residents of the United States to pay resident tuition and fees for enrollment in an Oregon public university under certain conditions. The bill also provides an exemption for certain veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces who are U.S. Citizens or lawful Permanent Residents, resided outside of Oregon for more than three years while serving in the Armed Forces of the United States, were originally residents of the state but gave up residency, and meet all of the following criteria:

  1. During each of the three years immediately prior to receiving a high school diploma or leaving school before receiving a high school diploma, attended an elementary or a secondary school in this state;
  2. During each of the five years immediately prior to receiving a high school diploma or leaving school before receiving a high school diploma, attended an elementary or a secondary school in any state or territory of the United States, the District of Columbia or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico; and
  3. No more than three years before initially enrolling in a public university listed in ORS 352.002, received a high school diploma from a secondary school in this state or received the equivalent of a high school diploma.

To apply for this exemption, complete an Oregon University System Affidavity and Request for Exemption from Nonresident Tuition and Fees (HB 2787 Veterans Exemption) Affidavit. Affidavits must be submitted to the admitting school's Office of Admissions by the first day of the term in which classification is sought. Tuition adjustments will not be granted retroactively for previous terms.