Students with food allergies and special dietary considerations are encouraged to be self-advocates
when managing their dietary conditions to promote safety and minimize the risk of a reaction.
- For medical emergencies, dial 911 immediately.
- Notify your primary care physician if a reaction has occurred. You may also contact Student Health Services (SHS) at 541-737-9355 to make an appointment if the reaction is not an immediate emergency.
- If you believe your food allergy or special dietary consideration substantially limits one or more major life activities and may require a classroom accommodation, please contact Disability Access Services (DAS) at 541-737-4098. Documentation requirements for disability related accommodations can be found here.
- If you are a resident and have specific dietary restrictions or food allergies that you would like the staff of University Housing and Dining Services to be aware of and would like information on how to meet your diet needs, please fill out the "Dietary Needs Request" form on MyUHDS.
- Dietitian services are available to help assist with special dietary considerations through SHS at 541-737-9355 and University Housing and Dining (UHDS*) at 541-737-3915. A UHDS dietitian can assist with identifying dining options in UHDS dining centers.(*Please note: Not all dining establishments on campus are operated by UHDS.)
- The following hints can help you be proactive in self managing a food allergy or special dietary condition:
- Consult your primary care physician on how to avoid unsafe foods.
- At OSU, ingredient and allergy information is posted on line for UHDS* menus: http://oregonstate.edu/uhds/eat
- Food Allergy/Intolerance Disclaimer: UHDS* is committed to identifying ingredients that may cause reactions for those with food allergies and intolerances and trains employees on safe handling procedures to minimize risk; however, because foods are prepared in a commercial kitchen, there is always some risk of cross contact of allergens and gluten. Consumers should also be aware of the risk that manufacturers of the commercial foods OSU uses may change the formulation of ingredients or substitute other ingredients at any time, without notice
- In MU Retail Food Service locations , if you have questions or concerns about allergens, contact the manager for more information. Click here for a list of vegan, vegetarian and gluten free options.
- Know how to recognize and respond to the symptoms of an allergic reaction. Should a reaction occur, know when to instruct those around you to call 911 if medical attention is needed immediately.
- Carry prescribed medications at all times for self-administration.
(*Please note: Since some dining establishments on campus are non-UHDS affiliated, be aware that OSU may not have knowledge of ingredients used in non-UHDS operated dining establishments.)
Contact Information and Additional Resources: