Moving Out of UHDS Facilities
Moving Out of UHDS Facilities
Are you planning on cancelling your contract prior to June when your contract ends? Please be sure to follow these steps in their entirety to ensure you are complying with the terms and conditions of your contract. If you have any questions about the process, please go to your nearest Service Center or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Checkout To-Do List
- Meet with your Resident Director (RD) or Cooperative Director (CD) to discuss your reason for cancelling. This step is not necessary at the end of the academic year during hall closing.
- Set up an appointment to check out with your Resident Assistant (RA) or Cooperative director (CD).
- Move out your belongings and ensure your room meets the cleanliness standards below.
- Checkout from your room with your RA or CD.
- Turn in your room key(s) to your service center.
- Check your student account for updates on charges and credits associated with cancelling your contract.
Steps to a Clean Room
- Remove all belongings from your room.
- De-loft your bed if it is a personal loft and take the loft home. If your bed has a UHDS provided loft, this is not necessary.
- Take out your trash and recycling to the appropriate receptacles outside.
- Ensure all original furniture is in the room. You are responsible for all missing or broken furniture.
- Completely clean your room. Cleanliness is the absence of dirt, including dust, stains, bad smells and garbage. Cleaning is not only about appearance, but is critical to the overall health and productivity of each hall's residents. For your room, cleanliness upon checkout includes, but is not limited to:
- All room surfaces wiped down (i.e. window sill, desk top, walls, etc.). Floor is swept and mopped (or vacuumed if applicable).
- Wardrobe and dresser are emptied and wiped down.
- Room door, ceiling, and walls are free of tacks, tape, adhesive strips, moon / stars / comets.
- Mattress is wiped down and bed is assembled correctly.
- Room window has the screen in place and is free of stickers, smudges, cobwebs, etc.
- All furniture is clean and in the condition that was noted upon check-in. Discrepancies may result in fees being assessed.
- Trash and recycling bins have been emptied and are clean inside.
- Garbage disposal is cleaned with soap and water (if applicable).
- Stove range is wiped down (if applicable).
- Toilet, shower, and sink surfaces are all wiped down (if applicable).
Remember: Failure to follow all of the proper checkout procedures may result in an improper checkout fee of $50.00 or a cleaning fee up to $250.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if my roommate is staying in the room?
Complete the cleaning process for your side of the room. UHDS staff will still check the garbage can, window, and floor, to ensure cleanliness, so it is important to make sure that these common spaces are clean upon your check-out.
What happens to my mail when I checkout?
Mail is forwarded for up to 3 months after your checkout date. After 3 months your mail will be returned to sender, so please update your address with the various companies and people from whom you receive mail. Be sure to update your address at Student Online Services to where you will be receiving mail as soon as you know your new address.
Will I be charged a cancellation fee?
A cancellation fee is assessed if you will remain a student at Oregon State University. Please refer to the Housing and Dining Contract for specific information on cancellation fee criteria.
What will the charge be for cancelling my contract?
The cancellation fee is the full remaining Contract Term after receipt of Cancellation. The fee will be assessed for the remaining Contract Term excluding unused Dining Dollars. If, at the start of Winter or Spring term, UHDS housing is oversubscribed and students who desire rooms are housed in temporary housing, the previously cancelling student will be refunded the amount of the Contract Term minus the amount for the academic term(s) in which UHDS is oversubscribed and over capacity.
What if I don’t agree with a UHDS charge on my account?
If you disagree with any of the fees that you have been assessed, please go to MyUHDS and follow the instructions provided through the ‘Petition of Financial Appeals’ link to submit a Petition of Financial Appeal.