Moving Out of UHDS Facilities
Are you planning on cancelling your contract prior to June move-out? Please be sure to follow these steps in their entirety to ensure you can avoid a cleaning or improper checkout fee. If you have any questions about the process, please go to your nearest Service Center or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Checkout To-Do List
A. Meet with your Resident Director (RD) or Cooperative Director (CD) to discuss your reasons for cancelling your contract.
B. The Resident Director (RD) or Cooperative Director (CD) will submit the request for cancellation.
C. Check out of your room with your RA/CD and follow all the procedures for cleaning your room outlined below.
D. Turn in your room key(s) to your service center.
E. Check your student account for updates on charges and credits associated with cancelling your contrac
Steps to a Clean Room
- Remove all belongings from your room.
- De-loft your bed if it is a personal loft and take the loft home. If your bed has a UHDS provided loft, this is not necessary.
- Take out your trash and recycling to the appropriate receptacles outside.
- Ensure all original furniture is in the room. You are responsible for all missing or broken furniture.
- Completely clean your room. Cleanliness is the absence of dirt, including dust, stains, bad smells and garbage. Cleaning is not only about appearance, but is critical to the overall health and productivity of each hall's residents. For your room, cleanliness upon checkout includes, but is not limited to:
- All room surfaces wiped down (i.e. window sill, desk top, walls, etc.).
- Floor is swept and mopped (or vacuumed if applicable).
- Wardrobe and dresser are emptied and wiped down.
- Room door, ceiling, and walls are free of tacks, tape, adhesive strips, moon / stars / comets.
- Mattress is wiped down and bed is assembled correctly.
- Room window has the screen in place and is free of stickers, smudges, cobwebs, etc.
- All furniture is clean and in the condition that was noted upon check-in. Discrepancies may result in fees being assessed.
- Trash and recycling bins have been emptied and are clean inside.
- Garbage disposal is cleaned with soap and water (if applicable).
- Stove range is wiped down (if applicable).
- Toilet, shower, and sink surfaces are all wiped down (if applicable).
Remember: Failure to follow all of the proper checkout procedures may result in an improper checkout fee of $50.00 or a cleaning fee up to $250.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if my roommate is staying in the room?
Complete the cleaning process for your side of the room. Your RA/CD will still check the garbage can, window, and floor, so it is important to make sure that these common spaces are clean upon your check-out.
What happens to my mail when I checkout?
Mail is forwarded for up to 3 months after your checkout date. After 3 months your mail will be returned to sender, so please update your address with the various companies and people from whom you receive mail. Be sure to update your address at Student Online Services to where you will be receiving mail as soon as you know your new address.
Will I be charged a cancellation fee?
You will not incur a cancellation fee if certain criteria are met. Please refer to the Housing and Dining Contract for specific information on those criteria.
What will the charge be for cancelling my contract?
What if I don’t agree with a UHDS charge on my account?
If you disagree with any of the fees that you have been assessed, please go to MyUHDS and follow the instructions provided through the ‘Petition of Financial Appeals’ link to submit a Petition of Financial Appeal.