**Disclaimer: Students admitted through the INTO OSU Program should contact INTO.Housing@oregonstate.edu for all housing and dining questions**
First Year Experience
- Oregon State University has implemented a First Year Experience (FYE) program to connect students with key campus resources, build community, and provide academic support and services designed to enhance student success, satisfaction, and retention.
- As part of the First Year Experience program, Oregon State University requires full-time, first-year students to live on campus.
Degree & Exchange Students
- Degree students that fall under FYE are required to live on campus their first year. To find out if you are required to live on campus, see the FYE website and read the full live-on policy.
- Exchange students and Non-FYE degree students are not required to live on campus, but may choose to apply for on campus housing. Due to the FYE Live-on Requirement, space on campus is limited, and students who are not required to live on campus are not guaranteed a space in university housing and are encouraged to find off campus housing accommodations.
On Campus Housing
Applying for housing
- Students can apply for housing at any time after they have been admitted to the university.
- Students who apply after the room selection deadline will still be eligible to live on campus, but they will be placed in a room by the housing assignments office based on application date, availability and preferences.
- Click here to apply to live on campus
Living on campus
- International Students are encouraged to fill out the Arrival Report on their MyUHDS to schedule their arrival time
- Students are eligible to move into their on-campus accommodations one day prior to the start of International Student orientation
- International appliances may not work in residence halls. All residence space has standard North American outlets with 120 volts. An adaptor and/or converter may be needed for items (computer, hair dryer, etc.) purchased outside of the United States. To see a list of appliances that are allowed in the residence space, see the What to Bring page.
- Students who would like to purchase linens for their room prior to their arrival, should contact the Residence Hall Association (RHA).
- To cancel your housing contract after moving in, students will need to meet with the Resident Director to begin the cancellation process
- If the cancellation takes place after moving in, students will be responsible for the fee of the remaining Contract Term excluding unused Dining Dollars.
- Exchange Students leaving at the end of the Fall or Winter term can cancel their contract without paying the cancellation fee by going through the cancellation process
- If you are no longer going to attend the University, you will not be subject to fee associated with breaking the Contract
- Top 10 Things to Know About Your Contract
- All OSU international students are eligible to live with an American family in the OSU Homestay Program. Length of Homestay can vary from 1 month to 1 year
- For more information or to apply for Homestay Housing, please visit the Homestay website.
- Scholar housing is available to visiting scholars, researchers, and interns year-round through our residential conferences office. All scholars must have an academic program or university related purpose for their stay and be connected with a sponsoring academic department in order to be eligible for scholar housing. Students enrolled in academic courses at OSU are not considered Scholars and should apply for on-campus housing.
- For more information or to apply for Scholar Housing, please visit the Scholar Housing page.
- Dining Plans are required for all students who live on campus. Description of dining plans can be found on the Meal Plan Options page.
- UHDS has many dining options throughout campus, including vegan and vegetarian, gluten-free, and Halal. For more information on specialty dining options, or to meet with our nutritionist to find dining options that meet your needs, visit the Nutrition page
- UHDS Dining Plans do not work at non-UHDS facilities (Memorial Union, Kelley Engineering, Valley Library, etc.). Students wishing to eat at these locations are encouraged to use Orange Rewards.
Student Conduct and Community Standards
- Students are expected to follow the UHDS Community Standards policy. Language barrier or lack of knowledge of UHDS rules and regulations is not an acceptable excuse for breaking policy. Students will be held accountable for policy violations. A full version of the UHDS Policy Guide can be found here.
Off Campus Housing
Due to the high volume of applications for this next year, we’d like to encourage students who do not fall under the FYE requirements to use the following resources to help find off-campus housing in the Corvallis community next year.
- UHDS Guide to Living Off Campus
- UHDS Corvallis Off-Campus Housing Guide
- UHDS Off-Campus Housing Page
- Daily Barometer Renter's Guide
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What if I can’t find my food?
UHDS has many dining options throughout campus, including vegan and vegetarian, gluten-free, and Halal. For more information on specialty dining options, or to meet with our nutritionist to find dining options that meet your needs, visit the Nutrition page.
When can I move in?
International students with campus housing assignments may have orientation beginning prior to campus move-in dates. Students who need to arrive early to campus for orientation may move in one day prior to the start of orientation. Students are encouraged to fill out the Arrival Information form to schedule a move in time the day before orientation starts. **Note: Due to the New Year's Holiday, new international students may move into campus housing two days before the start of Winter 2014 orientation (December 31, 2013)**
Will my appliances work?
All residence space has standard North American outlets with 120 volts. An adaptor and/or converter may be needed for items (computer, hair dryer, etc.) purchased outside of the United States. To see a list of appliances that are allowed in the residence space, see this list.
What if I have problems with my roommate?
Many first year college students have never had a roommate before. A great roommate match takes effort from both people. As long as you and your roommate communicate well and discuss issues ahead of time, such as schedules, cleanliness of the room, and visitors, you will find that having a roommate is not a bad thing (in fact, it can even be a great thing). However, if you discover that you and your roommate can't resolve your conflicts, find a staff member in your Residence Hall or Cooperative House. These trained individuals are available to assist in solving conflicts.
How do I get to campus?
Portland International Airport (PDX) is located about 145 km from Corvallis. HUT Airport Shuttle makes daily trips from Portland to Corvallis, with drop-offs at the OSU Memorial Union and Hilton Garden Inn hotel near campus. Advanced reservations are required and can be made online at www.hutshuttle.com. Students living on the South side of campus should take the shuttle to the Hilton Garden Inn, students living on the East and West sides of campus should take the shuttle to the Memorial Union stop.
Eugene Airport (EUG) is located 58 km from Corvallis. It is a much smaller, regional airport. Students who fly to Eugene may want to take the OMNI Shuttle to the OSU campus. Prices and reservation information can be found at http://www.omnishuttle.com/.
How do I meet other students at OSU?
There are many ways for students to meet other students and get involved at OSU. The Associated Students of Oregon State University (ASOSU) has many clubs for students to participate in. A list of clubs can be found here.
What resources are available for international students on campus?
The International Students of Oregon State University (ISOSU) works to facilitate cross-cultural interaction on the OSU campus. ISOSU runs the International Resource Center (IRC), a space used for the promotion of international understanding and can be used by any student. Students may also visit International Student Advising & Services (ISAS), and INTO OSU for questions regarding courses, visas and immigration, and other resources.
How do I purchase linen?
Students may pre-order bedding that will be shipped to their campus address by visiting http://www.rhl.org/ors.
Where do I go to eat?
Your UHDS Dining Dollars give you the flexibility to eat at any of 18 dining venues in the following locations including: Arnold Center, International Living-Learning Center, Marketplace West, McNary Central Dining and Bing's Café. Your dining plan also offers a 15% discount.
Where do I get my mail?
Mail and packages are delivered to the UHDS Service Centers. You will be assigned a mailbox in the service center located near your building.
How do I check in and get my keys to my room?
International students may move into their campus housing assignments after 8 a.m. one day prior to the start of International Student Orientation. Students should check in to their Service Center between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. Please use the list below as a point of reference.
- West Side Residents – (Cauthorn, Buxton, Hawley, Poling, Sackett, & West)
- Check in at the West Service Center located in the Marketplace West Dining
- Weatherford Residents
- Check in at the Weatherford Service Center located across from the entrance to Bings Café
- East Side and Cooperative House Residents - (Callahan, McNary, Wilson, Avery, Azalea, Dixon, & Oxford)
- Check in at the McNary Service Center located in the McNary Central Dining Center
- South Side Residents - (Bloss, Finley, Halsell, & the International Living Learning Center)
- Check in at the Arnold Service Center located in the Arnold Dining Center
- West Side Residents – (Cauthorn, Buxton, Hawley, Poling, Sackett, & West)
If it is after 7 pm, the resident will need to check in with the on-duty Resident Assistant (RA) in their assigned building. The RA on-duty can be reached by calling the posted cell phone number on the hall doors. We encourage students to arrive during the day whenever possible however after 7pm you will only be keyed into your room. The next morning, residents must formally check in at their respective service center in order to receive their permanent room key.
What is my campus address?
Your address can be found via your MyUHDS once you have been assigned to a mailbox.
How does my meal plan work?
Dining plans are pre-loaded onto your Student ID and may be used at any UHDS Dining Location.
How does my internet work?
All residence halls have both wired and wireless internet. We suggest students use plug devices into their wall ports when possible since wifi may be slower than Ethernet.
How do I change rooms?
Housing is very full for the 2013-14 academic year, and room changes will not happen quickly. For more information on how to change rooms, please visit Changing Rooms.
Can I smoke on campus?
Oregon State is a smoke-free campus. Smoking is not allowed anywhere on the Corvallis campus. Read more about the policy.
How do I cancel my contract?
The housing contract is a document that tells you what the rules and expectations are for a resident living with us. When you sign the contract you agree to the rules and guidelines. It is legally binding for the entire academic year, September – June or remainder thereof if you contract during the year. There is no single-term contract option.
For the 2013-2014 academic year, if the cancellation takes place during Occupancy of the Contract Term, the fee will be assessed for the remaining Contract Term excluding unused Dining Dollars. If, at the start of Winter or Spring term, UHDS Housing is oversubscribed and students who desire rooms are housed in temporary housing, the previously cancelling student will be refunded the amount of the Contract Term minus the amount for the academic term(s) in which UHDS is oversubscribed and over capacity. If you are no longer going to attend the University, you will not be subject to fee associated with breaking the Contract.
Exchange students will not have to pay a cancellation fee if they properly check out of their room and inform UHDS they are exchange students prior to leaving.
Where can I get a cell phone and set up a bank account?
Information on local banks and cell phone companies is located in the student handbook, and will be given to students during International Student Orientation.
How can I get packages?
Packages can be mailed to your campus address. When a package arrives, the Service Center will notify you through your ONID email account. You will need to show your student ID to receive your package.
When is orientation?
Students receive orientation information from International Admissions and their advisors. Please refer to emails regarding orientation location and start time. Orientation schedules will be given to students during orientation check-in. Housing orientation is part of the orientation schedule.
How can I travel around Corvallis?
There are many ways to travel throughout the Corvallis area. Students can choose between the Corvallis Transit System, taxicabs, bicycling, walking, or OSU SafeRide. The Transit System is free to use. Bus maps and schedules can be found here.
How to call a cab?
Corvallis has many taxi companies that work well with students, including Beaver Taxi and Orange Taxi. Before calling for a taxi, be prepared to leave when the taxi arrives, drivers will charge you if they have to wait.
Where can I buy a bike?
Bicycles can be purchased from many places including Craigslist, the OSUsed Store, secondhand stores, and bicycle shops located in downtown Corvallis.
What is the OSU SafeRide?
SafeRide is a service dedicated to assault prevention, to OSU students, Faculty and Staff. It is free transportation to and from campus for all OSU students. Please visit the SafeRide webpage for more information http://asosu.oregonstate.edu/saferide.
How can I get a single room?
There are very few single rooms on campus. Students may request to be placed on a waitlist for a single room by meeting with their Resident Director, however many students do not choose to move out of their single room once they have moved in.
Where and when do I need to pay my housing and dining bill?
Housing and Dining charges are placed on your Student Account at the beginning of each term. You are responsible to pay your bill at that time either online or at the Cashier’s office.
How do I sign my contract?
If you are 17+ years old, you may sign the contract electronically via your MyUHDS account. If you are under 17, you will need to electronically confirm your assignment and shortly thereafter you will receive a paper contract in the mail. You are required to have a parent or guardian co-sign on the contract if you are under the age of 17.
Where do I see my bill?
You can find your bill at myosu.oregonstate.edu.
I’m an exchange student, do I have a special contract?
No, exchange students sign the same contract to live on campus. Exchange students will not have to pay a cancellation fee if they properly check out of their room and inform UHDS they are exchange students prior to leaving.
I’m sick, where do I go?
You can visit Student Health Services.
There are very few single rooms on campus. Students who requested a single room, but were placed in a double or triple room will only be charged for the room type they were placed in.
I lost my key, what do I do?
If the Service Center is open, you will need to take your ID card to get a temporary key to use. If the service center is not open, the RA on duty can key you into your room and you will need to visit the Service Center when it reopens.
My ID card doesn’t work, what do I do?
Visit your Service Center, if it is open, or talk to the RA on Duty.
I have too much money left on my meal plan, can I get it back?
Can I have a pet?
The only pets allowed in UHDS facilities are fish in tanks that are smaller than 10 gallons.
Can I send packages before I move in?
Students moving into campus housing may send packages to their campus mailing address one week prior to moving in.