The Global Village in the International Living-Learning Center is a community for International and American students who are passionate about cultural exchange and global experiences. Through partnership with INTO OSU and the College of Liberal Arts, the Global Village offers international-domestic roommate pairs, globally-themed hall programs and faculty workshops, and hands-on service learning experiences.
Benefits of the Global Village
Earn academic credit:
- Participation in the Global Village counts toward INTL 408 Global Experiences Workshop
Connect with OSU faculty and staff from:
- The College of Liberal Arts
- World Languages and Cultures
- INTO OSU English Language Program
Receive key components of a study abroad experience:
- Live and interact with peers from diverse cultures
- Learn about other cultures and cultural values
- Gain a global perspective in your field of study
Participate in a short-term service abroad experience:
- Travel outside of the US with fellow Global Village members
- Contribute to a service project supporting education for students in need
- Learn about the effects of international service and non-profit organizations
- Summer 2015 Location: In-Community Care for Orphans in Zambia
Features of the Global Village
- Located on the 5th floor of the International Living-Learning Center
- International-domestic roommate pairs
- Globally-focused hall programs and workshops
- Hands-on service learning projects
- Culture-based learning themes
- Exploring Identity
- Understanding Cultural Values
- Navigating Cultural Differences
The Global Village Mission
The Global Village provides residential learning opportunities and experiences that deepen students’ cultural competence and enhance their success in personal, academic and professional endeavors.
Leadership in the Global Village
Peer Leader Team: A group of Global Village members that works with the Global Village advisor and fellow members to develop programming, create a welcoming environment, provide feedback and recruit members.
INTO OSU Staff Advisor: INTO OSU’s Residential Experience Coordinator oversees the Global Village program, advises the Peer Leader Team, develops curriculum and plans activities.
OSU Staff and Faculty: Faculty and professors from the College of Liberal Arts coordinate cultural workshops for members of the Global Village and ILLC residents.
The ILLC Resident Director and 5th Floor Resident Assistant serve as a resource for the Global Village community.
Expectations of Global Village Members
- Attend and participate in Global Village programs and International OSU events
- Complete reflections and writing assignments in the Global Village Passport
- Respect cultural difference and value the experience of fellow Global Village members
- Be open-minded and willing to learn from others’ perspective
Applying for the Global Village
Domestic OSU Students
|INTO OSU Pathway Students
- Get admitted to OSU.
- Complete the UHDS housing application and list the Global Village as your first preference.
- Sign your housing contract.
- During room selection, choose a double room with an international roommate in the Global Village (ILLC 5th floor).
- Email GlobalVillage@oregonstate.edu:
- Send your name, major, hometown, age, and travel experiences.
- Tell us why you're interested in being a member of the Global Village.
- We will assign rommates in late August.
- Confirm admission to the Pathway program and housing reservation
- Pay program and housing deposit
- Complete the Global Village Pathway Student Application
- Applications are due August 7th, 2015
- We will send notification of being accepted and room assignments in late August