For current UHDS residents who want to change rooms, simply follow the steps below to complete your room change.
Room Change Process
Room changes occur between weeks 3 through 9 of each term. If you would like to change your room, please follow the steps below:
- Submit a Room Change Request via MyUHDS
- Meet with your Resident Director (RD) or Cooperative Director (CD)
- Your hall staff will want to know if there are specific reasons you would like to move that should be addressed within the community.
- The RD or CD will approve your request to change rooms.
- Room Change Offer
- If we have a space available based on the preferences you have indicated, you will receive an email offering you the space on Wednesday. You have until noon on Thursday to accept or decline the space. Not responding in the allotted time will be the equivalent of declining the offer.
- Complete the Room Change
- If you accept the new space, you will be able to pick up keys for your new space on Friday during Service Center business hours. Once you have picked up your new room key from the appropriate Service Center, you have until 5:00pm on Sunday to complete your room change. (Weatherford room changes must be completed by 4:00pm on Saturday.) Room changes are not complete until keys for your previous room have been returned to the appropriate service center.
When moving-out of your old room, follow the guidelines found on the Moving Out web page when cleaning your room and scheduling a checkout with your RA/CD.
Room changes that continue past Sunday at 5:00pm are subject to an Improper Check-Out Fee of $50.00. Should you continue to occupy two rooms beyond that time, you will also be subject to additional fees up to $250.00 and/or be charged for both rooms.
What to do if there is a vacancy in your room?
If your roommate moves out during a term, please be advised that you must ensure that the room is ready to receive a new roommate at any time. In preparation of possibly receiving a roommate, a UHDS staff member will key into your room to ensure that half of the space is available.
A half-open room involves the following items:
- All original room furnishings and physical space designated for the open space must be made completely available
- All personal belongings must remain on one side of the room
- Extra furniture or decorations, including those that are hung on the wall, must occupy only one side of the room
- The floor (and room in general) is to be clean and free of debris. Vacuums and other cleaning supplies can be checked-out from your hall’s front desk.
- Also note that in the University Housing and Dining Services Room and Dining 2011-2012 Contract it states:
Creating or maintaining an unwelcoming, hostile, or intimidating environment with the intent to discourage or drive out a roommate will be considered a disciplinary issue resulting in possible behavioral sanctions as well as financial responsibility for a single room rate or Termination and Cancellation Fees.”
For more details please refer to section (12) of the contract titled ‘Room Vacancies’ in the University Housing and Dining Services Room and Dining 2011-2012 Contract.
If you refuse to accept a roommate (or your room is not ready for a roommate at the time of check-in), UHDS will process a fine of up to $250 and charge you for all sides of the room until the room has been made available for a roommate; and you will be referred to your Residential Education staff for appropriate conduct action.