Art. Justice. Action.
The Arts + Social Justice Living Learning Community in Wilson Hall supports a brave space where residents explore social justice issues through art and creative expression. We hope that the process of making art, taking courses, and attending programs together creates a vibrant culture of arts and activism at Oregon State. We aim to engage multiple communities to explore interpersonal and systemic issues of social justice in an effort to challenge paradigms and transform the lives of our residents, our campus community and our world.
Benefits of the Arts + Social Justice LLC
- Receive academic course credit
- Opportunities to express yourself through art
- Increase your skills as a change agent
- Connect with performers, artists, writers and faculty
- Explore your passions and identities
- Supportive artistic community
- Create life-long friendships
- Located on the 6th floor of Wilson Hall
- Art and social justice issues focused hall programs and workshops
- Hands-on service learning projects
- Social justice based learning themes
- Exploring Identity
- Understanding social justice issues
- Art exploration
- Gender-inclusive community
To be a vibrant hub that inspires a culture of art and activism at Oregon State.
Academic Requirements: Select one course from Intro to Ethnic Studies, Queer Studies, or Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies to be taken during the Fall 2014 quarter. Each is a three credit course. These introductory courses are meant to immerse students in social justice foundations of power, privilege, discrimination, justice and injustice. Along with this course you will also take the Arts & Social Justice I seminar, a two unit course.
Arts & Social Justice Seminars
Fall – Arts & Social Justice I aims to develop rapport and a sense of community among students participating in the living and learning community. Through personal and group reflection on social identity, themes of power, privilege and oppression will be illuminated via the community’s intergroup dynamics.
Winter – Arts & Social Justice II aims to expose student to a variety of arts methods and visiting guests to further exploration of contemporary social issues. Through a series of immersions in various media, student will deliberate appropriate methods/materials in the development of a proposal for their third term capstone art project.
Spring - Arts & Social Justice III will focus on the development of the students’ capstone project, culminating in an end-of-term exhibition. In-class time will be devoted to debriefing and problem-solving processes related to the development of the capstone project.
- Field trip
- Service Learning Project
- Select workshops and events
Activities may include:
- Hands on arts-based workshops
- Community service learning projects
- Social change agent skill building sessions
- Faculty, artist, and guest dinners
- Field trips
- Year-end art exhibit
Leadership in the Arts + Social Justice LLC
This LLC is a collaboration of: Ethnic Studies, Intercultural Student Services, Queer Studies, Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, College of Liberal Arts, School of Arts & Communications, and University Housing and Dining Services.
Faculty partners: OSU faculty from Ethnic Studies, Queer Studies, and Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies collaborate and support workshops and programs for LLC members.
- Natchee Barnd, Ethnic Studies, faculty
- Qwo-Li Driskill, Queer Studies, faculty
- Marion Rossi, Associate Dean and Director of the School of Arts and Communication (Theater)
Arts + Social Justice Staff Coordinator: The coordinator oversees the Arts and Social Justice program, mentors the peer leaders, teaches the seminar courses, and coordinates activities with Wilson team.
- Charlene Martinez, Intercultural Student Services, Charlene.Martinez@oregonstate.edu
Wilson Leadership Team: The Wilson Hall resident director and 6th floor resident assistant serve as a resource and work with the staff advisor to coordinate events that infuse arts and social justice themes.
- Jesus Ramirez, Wilson Hall Resident Director, Jesus.Ramirez@oregonstate.edu
Applying for the Arts & Social Justice LLC
- Get admitted to OSU
- Complete the UHDS housing application and list the Arts and Social Justice LLC as your first preference
- Sign your housing contract
- Email Charlene.Martinez@oregonstate.edu:
Send your name, major, hometown, age Tell us why you're interested in being a member of the Arts & Social Justice Living Learning Community Which START orientation date you will attend