Many of you may be starting and/or continuing the 200 level General Chemistry sequence in spring term (CH 232/262 if you started the Chemistry sequence this term and CH 233/263 if you started it fall). This sequence has separately numbered lectures and labs, and registering for these Chemistry classes can be confusing. Here are some instructions to make it easier. The issue is that lecture (and in the case of CH 233, recitation) section and the lab section are linked, thus registration for all components must happen at the same time, or it won’t work.
Here are two ways to do this:
- Use the online schedule of classes to look at Chemistry offerings for spring term (Corvallis campus offerings ). Identify the CRN’s For CH 232/262, you will have two - one for the 231 lecture and one for the 262 lab. For CH 233/263, you will have three - one for the CH 233 lecture, one for the CH 233 recitation, and one for the 263 lab. The schedule of classes is real time and allows you to see the sections that are open. Once you’ve identified three CRN’s that will work (make sure the times you’ve chosen for all three don’t conflict with each other), then you can add them to CRN table in the Registration system and click submit. Provided everything is open and there are no time conflicts, you should be set
- You can use the Advanced Search function in the online registration system to find all the necessary pieces of the class at once:
- Click the “Class Search” button on the main registration page.
- When you get to the Class Search page, click the “Advanced Search” button
- Highlight “Chemistry” on the list
- Put the number “2” in the course number box, and hit return (or you can also scroll to the bottom and click the “Search Classes” button).
- This will bring up all the 200-level Chemistry classes offered fall term. Scroll down until you find CH 232 or 233, whichever applies to you. Choose one lecture and, in the case of 233, one recitation, and make note of the days and times for both. Please note that Chemistry usually has one or two recitations that are limited to Chemistry majors. If you see +520 in the restrictions box, that is a restricted section. Once you’ve identified your lecture and recitation, scroll down until you find the CH 262 or 263 lab (again whichever applies to you). Choose one of the labs and make sure it doesn’t conflict with the lecture and recitation you picked.
- Check the boxes next to you chosen lecture, recitation, and lab, and then scroll to the bottom and click register.