University Exploratory Studies Program (UESP) is the academic home for students who have chosen to explore their options prior to deciding on a major. UESP is very similar to OSU's academic colleges in that we provide academic support to assure that our students are making satisfactory progress toward a degree. We offer a comprehensive range of services to help students make informed decisions about their academic coursework and potential majors they're considering.
Phase 2 of registration starts in the evening on March 12.
During the day on Thursday, March 12, the registration system will be down to prepare for Phase 2 and the availability of Wait Listing. Returing students, you can look up your Phase 2 registration date using the following process:
Common questions we hear during registration
1. I was in for advising, but I didn't get a registration pin. If you had your advising appointment to plan for spring term 2015, you did get a registration pin. It is your MyDegrees Planner along with a list of class options you and your advisor put there. If you're not seeing it there, let us know, and we'll double check to see if we can figure out why.
2. Oh yeah, that's right. How do I access MyDegrees? From the OSU Home Page, click the "Online Services" link at the top of the page. Click the MyOSU Portal link, and log in using your ONID UserName and Password. Click the "Student" link at the top of the portal page. In the "My Student Stuff" box, click the "MyDegrees" link. Then click the "Submit MyDegrees" button (if you get a pop-up box with a blue error message, just close the tab, go back to the portal and click the "MyDegrees" link again). Once you are in MyDegrees, click the "Planner" tab. Your plan is on the right hand side of the page.
3. There's my pin, but it's not working when I try to use it. Make sure you are using the Pin that is in the "Spring Term 2015" notes area. If you are copying and pasting and it's not working, try typing the pin in manually. Make sure that prior to entering your pin, you've set the term to spring2015.
4. It says I can't register because I have holds. That means you have a registration hold. Click the "View Holds" link you see on that page to see the source of the hold and phone number you can call to get info on how to resolve it. There is also a "View Holds" link in the "My Student Stuff" box on the "Student" page of the MyOSU portal.
5. Okay, I'm in, but I've forgotten how to register. Here's a tutorial to refresh your memory. Still stuck? Stop by 102 Waldo during the day, and we'll try to have someone to help you.
6. Why can't I register for more than 16 credits? In Phase I, the registration system caps you at 16. You need to wait until Phase II of registration to go above 16 credits.
7. The class I want is closed, but it has a waitlist. Why is it not letting me waitlist? The waitlisting system doesn't become accessible until Phase II. At that point in time, if there is a spot on the waitlist, you can try to get it. Learn more about waitlisting.
8. You keep talking about Phase II. When is that? Phase II starts at the end of week 10. You can find your Phase II registration date and time on the same screen that has your Phase I date. Forget how? See the instructions on this page.
9. I haven't had my advising appointment yet. Can't you just give me my pin? Advising in UESP is mandatory. It is part of the deal. You're allowed to explore options provided you meet with an advisor during peak advising for priority registration every term. We distribute pins during the advising appointment. Like we said when we emailed you at the beginning of week 5 that it was time to schedule, we get booked out quickly! We advise you to schedule your appointment as soon as you receive that email.
10. Are there any exceptions? We have a one-time-only exception that potentially allows you to get your pin in advance of your appointment. It's called a Pre-Advising PIN Request. If you are interested in pursuing this, you need to come to 102 Waldo fill out a form, and an advisor needs to evaluate if you are eligible.
11. The class I want appears to be open, but I'm getting a registration error message when I try to add it. The class potentially could have a major restriction (i.e. you have to be in a certain major to take it), a level restriction (i.e. it could be restricted to international students in the INTO program), a campus restriction (i.e. you may be trying to get a Cascades Campus class or class that is restricted to Ecampus students only), or require departmental approval (i.e. you have to get an override from the department message). You also could be missing a key component like a linked lab or recitation. Read the error message carefully. It generally explains the problem. If you still can't figure it out, look up the class in the online schedule of classes and check the restrictions column or the comments column -- the explanation for the restriction should be there. If you are still confused, take a screen shot of the error message and email it to your advisor. We'll help you figure out the issue.
It's time for Advising!
Week 5 is here, and we’re fast approaching Valentine’s Day. Those two things mean priority registration for spring is just around the corner, and we need to get going with advisng. Our Assistant Head Advisor, Jeff Malone, tells you how to get your mandatory advising appointment.
If you haven’t done so already, stop by 102 Waldo or call 541-737-8144 to schedule your mandatory 30-minute advising appointment. You know that we get booked out very quickly, so call or stop by this week to ensure that you get an appointment before your priority registration date. Please note that we cannot schedule appointments by email.
Here are a few information items about this appointment (Read carefully, so you don’t miss anything)
1. Log into the MyOSU portal
2. Click on the Student tab
3. Under Registration Tools select "View Priority Registration Status.” Here you will see the specific dates and times assigned to you for Phase I and Phase II of registration.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
Keep up on your exploration!
It is a very common experience for students to realize that their initial major choice is not the right fit. If that is your experience, don't panic! UESP is here to help you figure out which major direction at OSU is right for you. You're welcome to switch to UESP or even just consult with one of our advisors. Either way just requires that you make an appointment. Call our office at 541-737-8144 or stop by 102 Waldo Hall to schedule one.
Looking to add structure to your approach to your academics? Consider using Zero to Success in 77 Days, a week-by-week academic to do list established by OSU advisors.
Don't forget to keep checking your ONID account for important and timely messages from the university and your instructors.