CORVALLIS, Ore. – The Oregon State University School of Arts and Communication’s new SAC Academy is now enrolling youth for pre-college summer workshops in art and music.
SAC Academy is the new home of the long-running JumpstART Workshop and the Oregon State Chamber Music Workshop, now in its fourth year. New offerings this summer include the Oregon State University choir camp, honor band camp and songwriting workshop.
These summer programs take place on or near the Corvallis campus, and include day and overnight options. For additional information on all programs, including cost, registration, instructors, application details and end-of-camp presentations, visit http://liberalarts.oregonstate.edu/school-arts-and-communication/sac-academy. Scholarships may be available for some camps.
- JumpstART runs June 27 through July 1. It’s designed for young artists entering grades 9-12 who have a heightened interest in the visual and performing arts, and seek to increase their skills. The program provides accelerated instruction with in-class learning, visiting artist lectures, workshops and excursions, and helps students develop a portfolio that can be used to apply to a university or art institute of their choosing.
- The Oregon State Chamber Music Workshop runs in two sessions, June 27 through July 2 and July 5-10. The program is designed for advanced and intermediate string musicians, ages 10-23, who will benefit from expert coaching, sight reading clinics, supervised practice sessions, master classes, and the opportunity to perform with small ensembles in formal and informal concerts. Prominent string teachers, faculty members and internationally recognized performers will participate.
- The OSU Choir Camp is offered July 24-29. This training experience is for singers ages 14-19, and will include expert coaching, sight reading clinics, rehearsal techniques, sectional rehearsals, and the opportunity to perform with small ensembles and large choirs in a variety of musical genres. It will culminate in a public concert.
- The Oregon State Honor Band Camp is an intensive band experience from July 7-9 for students ages 14-19 who are nominated by their high school band director. Participants receive expert coaching, sectional rehearsals, the opportunity to perform with a large ensemble, and will finish with a free public performance.
- The OSU Songwriting Workshop on July 26-30 focuses on individual instruments, performing and rehearsing with pop ensembles, composing and music study. Students will work in pop/rock/country format bands to develop, rehearse and record their own work, and will perform in an end-of-camp showcase.
The School of Arts & Communication and SAC Academy are supported in part by gifts, including donations made during the Cornerstone for the Arts Challenge in which donors gave over $6 million to support the arts at OSU.