CORVALLIS, Ore. - The Memorial Union Program Council, a student-led organization of Oregon State University, will hold its annual spring concerts, Battle of the Bands and Dam Jam (formerly known as Flat Tail Music Festival) on Friday, May 30, and Saturday, May 31, respectively.
The events will be in the Memorial Union Quad as a celebration of student accomplishments throughout the year, and a precursor to commencement.
Battle of the Bands showcases 10 OSU student bands competing for cash prizes, with the winning band opening for the Dam Jam concert the following night. Battle of the Bands begins at 4:30 p.m. on Friday, May 30. The opening band for this year’s event is an all OSU professor band named B2K and the Delicious Spoon. This event is free and open to the public.
The Dam Jam concert takes place Saturday, May 31, with gates opening at 7 p.m. and music beginning at 8 p.m. Following the winner of Friday’s Battle of the Bands is The Flavr Blue from Seattle. The band will perform as opener to the headliner, Mike Posner.
Over the past two years MUPC has taken several measures to ensure a more safe and secure environment at these events as well as in the surrounding neighborhoods. Steps that have been taken to improve these events include:
- Six-foot chain link fencing around the MU Quad, and entrances are gated with security personnel conducting bag checks.
- Security and law enforcement have been greatly increased.
- Dam Jam concert on Saturday has been shortened to a concert with music beginning at 8 p.m. and ending promptly at 10:45 p.m.
- Dam Jam concert on Saturday is ticketed.
- Gates on Saturday will close at 10 p.m. and a no re-entry policy will be adhered to.