CORVALLIS, Ore. – Public radio personality Ira Glass, renowned Portland band Pink Martini and acclaimed percussionist Colin Currie and the Oregon Symphony String Ensemble are among the performers visiting Oregon State University as part of the 2017-18 “SAC Presents” series.
SAC Presents is a visual and performing arts events series presented by the School of Arts and Communication at OSU. The 2017-18 season marks the series’ third year. The goal of the series is to bring well-known headliners, rising stars and unique, lesser known artists and ensembles to the community.
This year’s performances include:
- Nov. 2, 2017, at 7:30 p.m. – Voces 8, an a capella octet from the United Kingdom, now one of the world’s most popular vocal ensembles. The OSU Chamber choir will also perform.
- Jan. 27, 2018, at 7:30 p.m. – “The Pianist of Willesden Lane,” a performance of the true story of a young Jewish musician whose dreams were interrupted by the Nazi regime.
- Feb. 2, 2018, at 7:30 p.m. - “Body and Soul,” a film by Oscar Micheaux, restored and featuring a remixed score by Paul D. Miller, aka DJ Spooky, performed live with Miller and an ensemble.
- March 17, 2018, at 7:30 p.m. – “An Evening with Ira Glass: Seven Things I’ve Learned.” The host of “This American Life” will mix his program live on stage, explaining the creative process and sharing lessons from his life and career.
- April 4, 2018, at 7:30 p.m. – Colin Currie and the Oregon Symphony String Ensemble. Currie, the internationally acclaimed percussionist, brings his energy and virtuosity to the region’s premier string instrumentalists.
- Saturday, April 28, 2018, at 7:30 p.m. – Pink Martini, a Portland-based group known as the “little orchestra” that features a wildly diverse, multi-lingual repertoire.
- Thursday, May 24, 2018, at 7:30 p.m. – Brooklyn Rider with Kayhan Kalhor. The adventurous string quartet and the master of the Persian kamancheh blur the lines between Western classical and Eastern traditional music.
All performances will be held in Austin Auditorium at The LaSells Stewart Center, 875 S.W. 26th St.
New this year, SAC Presents is partnering with OSU KidSpirit to offer child care in Langton Hall during performances. Children must be 3 or older and fully potty-trained. Advance registration is required for child care. More information, including reservation and pricing details, are available online at liberalarts.oregonstate.edu/SACpresents.
Also new this year, food, beer and wine and non-alcoholic beverages will be available from Valley Catering in the lobby before performances beginning at 6 p.m. Food and beverages also will be allowed in the Austin Auditorium.
Discounted season tickets and “pick four” ticket packages are available online now at liberalarts.oregonstate.edu/SACpresents. Individual performance tickets will go on sale Sept. 1. Discounted tickets for OSU students will be available when individual performance tickets go on sale Sept. 1.
SAC Presents participates in Corvallis Arts for All. If tickets remain on the evening of the performance, individuals in the SNAP program with an Oregon Trail Card may purchase up to two tickets at $5 each starting one hour prior to each performance. Call for availability.
For more information and for accommodations for people with disabilities, call 541-737-5592.
SAC Presents is funded in part by donations made during the Cornerstone Campaign for the Arts and by OSU Friends of the Arts.