CORVALLIS, Ore. – The 2013 Starker Lecture Series at Oregon State University will begin Feb. 28 and continue through May with the theme “Forest Biomass: Energy and Beyond.”
Leading experts will examine the changing use of forest biomass to produce energy, fuels and chemicals, while considering technical, economic, environmental implications, wildlife, soils and other issues. The lecture series will conclude with a field trip in Benton and Lane County.
All of the events are free and open to the public, and all lectures will be on a Thursday afternoon from 3:30-5 p.m. in Richardson Hall Room 107.
A capstone field trip titled “A Tour of Forest Biomass – from the Ground Up!” will be held May 30 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. It will feature visits to forest biomass production sites and energy facilities, and a discussion of on-the-ground and facility supply and processing considerations, including technical, environmental and economic. Advance registration for the field trip, and more information about all of the lectures, is available online at http://starkerlectures.forestry.oregonstate.edu/
The speakers and their topics include:
- Feb. 28: “Sustainable Integrated Forest Biorefineries,” with Shri Ramaswamy, professor at the University of Minnesota.
- April 11: “Wood to Wing: Envisioning an Aviation Biofuels Industry Based on Forest Residuals in the Pacific Northwest,” with Michael Wolcott, director of the Institute for Sustainable Design at Washington State University.
- May 2: “Environmental Considerations,” a panel discussion including Matthew Betts, associate professor at OSU, discussing forest wildlife habitat; Robert Harrison, a professor at the University of Washington discussing forest soil productivity; and Elaine Oneil, research scientist with the University of Washington discussing forest product life cycle analysis.
- May 16: “Oregon’s Biomass Experience: An Integrated Approach to Forest Biomass,” with Matt Krumenauer, senior policy analyst with the Oregon Department of Energy.
- May 30: “A Tour of Forest Biomass – from the Ground Up!” capstone field trip.
The Starker Lecture Series is sponsored by the Starker family in honor of T.J. and Bruce Starker, and is supported by the Oregon Forest Resources Institute and the OSU College of Forestry.