CORVALLIS, Ore. – To celebrate America Recycles Day on Nov. 15, Oregon State University is hosting a special recycling collection event that is free and open to the public.
It will be in the Memorial Union Brick Mall, hosted by the OSU Bookstore, from noon to 4 p.m., and aims to collect recyclables that are not accepted in curbside recycle bins.
Recyclables accepted include:
- Styrofoam: rigid blocks, bendable blocks and wraps/sheets. No food packaging (cups, plates, trays, egg cartons) or expanding foam (insulation, sealant).
- Packing peanuts, plastic or biodegradable
- Film plastics: clean bags, wrap, etc. No mylar (shiny silver bags or wrap) or food contamination.
- Electronics: anything with a power cord or batteries (computers, TVs, cell phones, etc.)
- CDs, DVDs and their plastic cases
- Ink and toner cartridges
- Household batteries
- Scrap metal: pure metal items that do not exceed 3’x3’x3’ in size
Volunteers will be present to help unload, sort and answer questions about the recyclables accepted at the event, as well as provide information on how such materials can be recycled at various locations in the area year-round.
“The purpose of this event is to recycle these hard-to-recycle items all in one convenient location, as well as educate people about recycling and waste reduction all year long,” said Andrea Norris, outreach coordinator for campus recycling. “Even those who do not have items to recycle are invited to stop by to learn about recycling resources in our community.”
Last year, OSU collected nearly 3,000 pounds of electronics, electronic media and batteries, plus 30 cubic yards of Styrofoam, packing peanuts and film plastic.
“We hope to meet or exceed these numbers this year,” said Norris. “We know there are a lot of people in the community who hold onto these items because they don’t want to throw them away, but are not sure how to recycle them.”
Event attendees and passersby will also be invited to write a message in a bottle about waste reduction and add that bottle to a large “bottle igloo” frame that will be used to educate students at future events.
The event will be near the northwest corner of the OSU Bookstore, in the parking lot off Jefferson Street. Norris can be contacted with questions at email@example.com or 541-737-5398.