CORVALLIS, Ore. – Oregon State University will welcome a record 15 new National Merit Scholarship recipients to campus this fall term.
The students, whose majors range from pre-computer science and engineering to music, join 18 returning National Merit Scholarship winners, giving the university a total of 33 OSU-sponsored recipients. In addition, OSU will have two new National Merit Corporate/Special Scholarship winners this fall, boosting its total in that category to 14.
Thirteen of the 15 scholarship winners for 2010 are from Oregon, according to Kate Peterson, OSU’s assistant provost for enrollment management.
“One of the university’s goals has been to keep Oregon’s high-achieving students in the state,” she said, “and this is a wonderful barometer of that success. We’re also thrilled to have a total of 47 National Merit scholars on campus this fall.”
The National Merit Program began 55 years ago and today is supported by some 500 independent and college sponsors. It awards scholarships to high-achieving students who apply as juniors in high school through the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship qualifying test. Semifinalists for the awards then are required to submit a scholarship application presenting outstanding academic records, an endorsement by a school official, and earning SAT scores that confirm their qualifying test.
Fewer than 5,000 National Merit Scholars were named in 2010, with each earning between $500 and $2,000 annually for up to four years of study.
OSU’s new National Merit Scholarship recipients include:
- Nathan Bruce Tollbom, a pre-mechanical engineering major, Southridge High School
- Emily Stringer Dunham, a pre-computer science major, Philomath High School
- Tyler McFadden, a music major, Corvallis High School
- Samuel Box, a pre-environmental engineering major, Sam Barlow High School
Klamath Falls, Ore.
- Ryan Michael Conley, a pre-engineering major, Henley High School.
La Grande, Ore.
- Emerson Grey Hovekamp, a pre-computer science major, La Grande High School
Pleasant Hill, Ore.
- Brian Evert Riggs, a pre-engineering major, Pleasant Hill High School
- Tommy Carl Hollenberg, a pre-computer science major, Woodrow Wilson High School
- Matthew Unrath, a pre-computer science major, Lincoln High School
- Jordan Philip Bayles, a pre-engineering major, West Salem High School
- Aimee Kaeline Glenn, enrolled in the University Exploratory Studies program, Sherwood High School
- Brendan C. Cox, a pre-computer science major, Thurston High School
- Alexander Charles Carsh, a biology major, Tigard High School
- Kevin Ray Grothe, a pre-nuclear engineering major, Century High School
Ft. Mitchell, Ky.
- Matthew Keefe, a food science and technology major, Summit Country Day School.
OSU’s two new Corporate/Special scholarship recipients for 2010 are:
- Eugene, Ore. – Shanna G. Myers, a pre-environmental engineering major from Churchill High School;
- Lake Oswego, Ore. – Catrina Marcia Klossner, a pre-computer science major, Lakeridge High School.