CORVALLIS, Ore. – Oregon State University’s College of Liberal Arts honored top faculty and staff this week during its annual CLA Day.
Award recipients were nominated by their supervisors, colleagues, and students. Dean Larry Rodgers presented certificates to the honorees for their achievements at the event, which was held at Withycombe Hall Theatre. The winners were:
- Melissa Cheyney, assistant professor of anthropology, was presented the Thomas R. Meehan Excellence in Teaching Award, for her role in opening OSU’s Reproductive Health Lab, her popularity with students, and her work at developing new innovative classes. This award honors Thomas R. Meehan, faculty member from 1962 to 1984, who won more campus-wide teaching awards during his years with the College of Liberal Arts than any other faculty member.
- Tracy Daugherty, professor of English, was presented the Robert J. Frank Research, Scholarship and Creativity Award, which helps raise the visibility of college scholars and creative artists, honors productive researchers, and challenges others to engage in such endeavors. Daugherty’s accomplishments include fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and the Guggenheim Foundation. He has received national acclaim for his recent biography of writer Donald Barthelme, “Hiding Man.”
- Joan Gross, professor of Anthropology, was presented the C. Warren Hovland Service Award for her promotion of international education, her community service and her dedication to serving as a language volunteer. The C. Warren Hovland Service Award honors C. Warren Hovland, College faculty member from 1949 to 1986, for his many contributions to the growth and vitality of the College of Liberal Arts.
- Tara Williams, assistant professor of English, was presented with the Bill Wilkins Faculty Development Award for her work in revitalizing the medieval studies courses, her extensive research publications and her success at writing grants to further her research. The Bill Wilkins Faculty Development Award is made possible by Wilkins, the dean emeritus of the College of Liberal Arts.
- Shirley Dodsworth, assistant to the chair in the Department of Psychology, received the Carolyn Maresh Professional Staff Award, for her work in reorganizing and restructuring her office to make it more efficient and to better serve students and faculty. The award honors Carolyn Maresh, longtime assistant to the dean of CLA for business affairs.