CORVALLIS, Ore. – Homecoming at Oregon State University will be especially spirited this year as it arrives during Halloween week, culminating in a Saturday Pacific-10 Conference football clash on Halloween Day between the Beavers and the UCLA Bruins at 1 p.m.
This year’s Homecoming theme, “Haunted by Orange: Bury the Bruins,” captures the spooky spirit of the season, made even more appropriate with all the orange and black appearing everywhere these days.
The traditional Homecoming parade will start at 9:30 a.m. The parade begins at the corner of Sixth Street and Madison Avenue in downtown Corvallis and proceeds south to Jefferson, west along Jefferson to 26th Street and south on 26th Street before ending at Dixon Recreation Center on campus. The grand marshal this year is Corvallis’ own Les Gutches, a world champion Beaver wrestler who is well-known around Corvallis as a coach and community volunteer.
Details, entry forms and full Homecoming schedules are available online at www.osualum.com, by mail or fax from the alumni association, (541) 737- 2351, or for pickup at the CH2M-Hill Alumni Center, the Downtown Corvallis Association and the Corvallis Benton Chamber Coalition. Student organization entries are $10; all others are $15.
As part of Homecoming tradition, some of OSU’s many accomplished alumni will be honored during the weekend events. Six distinguished alumni, and one rising star, have returned to campus for OSU’s Homecoming as part of the Alumni Fellows Program sponsored by the OSU Alumni Association. The honored alumni include:
• Ruth Beyer, Class of 1977, OSU’s University Honors College, and member attorney of the Portland law firm of Stoel Rives’;
• Carl Casale , Class of 1983, College of Agricultural Sciences, chief financial officer, Monsanto Corporation;
• Rusty Gorman, Class of 1977, College of Science, vice president and an owner of DE Harvey Builders in Houston;
• Bruce Mueller, Class of 1982, 1986 College of Veterinary Medicine, state field veterinarian for Oregon Department of Agriculture;
• Steven Running, Class of 1972 and 1973, College of Forestry, Regents Professor of Ecology and director of the Numerical Terradynamic Simulation Group at the University of Montana;
• Mary Spilde, Class of 1984 and 1996, College of Education, president of Lane Community College.
The Young Alumni Award Recipient is Vincent Kimura, Class of 2001, director of iBVEE Solutions, a business strategy and marketing consulting firm.
The following is a schedule of events for homecoming week. Some times are yet to be determined:
• Powered by Orange video booth in the Memorial Union Quad, noon to 2 p.m. Sponsored by the Student Powered by Orange council. Take a minute out of your day and sit in our video booth to record your Powered by Orange message.
• Tug-o-war preliminaries, 6 p.m., Truax Practice Facility
• Homecoming bonfire and pep rally, 7 p.m., Callahan parking lot
• Homecoming headquarters, CH2M-Hill Alumni Center. Grab a cup of coffee and pick up your maps and schedules for the day.
• Class without Quizzes LIVE! 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Preregistration is required by contacting email@example.com
• Thriller dance event, held by the Student Alumni Association. Join other Beavers at Reser Stadium from 6 to 6:30 p.m. to perform the zombie dance from the famous Michael Jackson video. The final dance will be filmed and posted on the Internet in an attempt to beat the current record of 1,500 performers. Wear Beaver gear or come zombified.
• Powered by Orange 5-kilometer Walk/Run, 9 a.m., Women’s Building on 26th Street. Check in/registration is at 8 a.m. Food and refreshments provided. Prizes for top overall finishers. To register go to http://kidspirit.oregonstate.edu/community-events Cost is $15 for students, $20 for non-students with a shirt, $10 for all without a shirt. The day of the race the cost is $20 without a shirt. Money benefits the OSU children’s program, KidSpirit. Sponsored by the College of Health and Human Sciences.
• Homecoming parade, Sixth Street and Madison Ave., at 9:30 a.m.
• Homecoming barbecue and Beaver Nation tailgater, 10 a.m., CH2M-Hill Alumni Center, before the game.
• Student showcase, 10 a.m., Parker Plaza. Students and their interactive projects are still needed for the exhibit. Call 541-737-7847 for details.
• Fall carnival, 10 a.m., Parker Plaza. Visit booths with goodies and activities featuring athletes from OSU sports.
• Beaver Boulevard, 10 a.m., Parker Plaza. Join the cheerleaders and marching band to cheer on the football team.
• Football game - OSU vs UCLA, Reser Stadium, 1 p.m.
• Tug-o-war finals, during the game, on the field, Reser Stadium.
For more information see http://www.osualum.com/s/359/index.aspx?sid=359&gid=1&pgid=891