CORVALLIS, Ore. – Oregon State University today honored the service of 32 leading faculty and staff members with some of its most prestigious annual awards as part of University Day, the annual kick-off of the new school year.
The awards were formally presented on Sept. 19 at a University Day-eve banquet. Honorees were recognized once again, however, during a 10:30 a.m. ceremony today at the LaSells Stewart Center in the heart of campus before an enthusiastic audience of some 1,000 faculty, staff and students.
This year’s award recipients are:
• Beaver Champion Award: Educational Opportunities Program Director Larry Griggs and Assistant Football Coach Danny Langsdorf;
• Excellence in Graduate Mentoring Award: Un-Koo Moon, professor in the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science;
• OSU Academic Advising Award: Gene Compton Newburgh, head advisor in the College of Education;
• Outstanding Faculty Research Assistant Award: Karin A. Hardin, senior faculty research assistant in the Department of Nutrition and Exercise Sciences;
• Herbert F. Frolander Graduate Teaching Assistant Award: Ryan “Tucker” Readdy from the Department of Nutrition and Exercise Sciences;
• OSU Award for Service to Persons with Disabilities: Joonkoo “J.K.” Yun, associate professor in the Department of Nutrition and Exercise Sciences;
• OSU Exemplary Employee Award (Professional Faculty): Cindy Empey, associate director of University Housing and Dining Services;
• OSU Exemplary Employee Award (Classified): Pam Scharf, office specialist for OSU Extension Service, Polk County;
• Karel J. H. Murphy Professional Faculty Leadership and Service Award: Gigi Bruce, special assistant to the Provost/Executive Vice President;
• University Professional Development Award: Kim McAlexander, head advisor in the College of Health and Human Sciences;
• International Service Award: Anuncia Escala, senior instructor in the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures;
• Dar Reese Excellence in Advising Award: Linda D. Bruslind, senior instructor in the Department of Microbiology;
• OSU Faculty Teaching Excellence Award: Carmen D. Steggell, associate professor in the Department of Design and Human Environment;
• D. Curtis Mumford Faculty Service Award: John Lee; associate chair in the Department of Mathematics;
• Richard M. Bressler Senior Faculty Teaching Award: James H. McAlexander, professor in the College of Business, and Walt Ream, professor in the Department of Microbiology;
• Elizabeth P. Ritchie Distinguished Professor Award: Susan M. Shaw, director of the Women Studies Program;
• OSU Alumni Association Distinguished Professor Award: Alan C. Acock, professor in the Department of Human Development and Family Sciences;
• Student Learning and Success Teamwork Award: the faculty of the Department of Design and Human Development – Leslie Davis Burns, Carol C. Caughey, Hsiou-Lien Chen, Brigette Cluver, Sandy Dawson, Marianne Egan, Minjeong Kim, Robin Lea Laughlin, Atiya N. Mahmood, Kathy K. Mullet, Elaine L. Pedersen, Mary A. Pedersen, Marilyn Read, Carmen D. Steggell.