CORVALLIS, Ore. - The 2007 HHMI Summer Research Program at Oregon State University has selected 44 undergraduate students for fellowships in the biological sciences, allowing them to spend their summer doing original research side-by-side with faculty mentors.
Studies will take place in projects ranging from nanotechnology to antibiotic development, fish diseases and new types of dental composites.
Funding for this program, which has been ongoing at OSU for almost a decade, is provided by a grant from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. It’s one part of a larger initiative at OSU to enhance biology instruction for college and pre-college students.
Acceptance into the competitive program is based on the stated interests, future plans, academic record, and potential for success of applicants. Fellows will be paid $3,800 for the 11-week program, will meet with each other on a regular basis during the summer, and will participate in a symposium at the beginning of fall term to present their research results.
Additional support for the program this year came from the university’s URISC program, the National Science Foundation, the Cripps Scholarship fund, the Jaworski Scholarship fund, and numerous research grants.
“Oregon State University has long recognized the unique educational value of an individual research experience,” said Kevin Ahern, director of the program. “The Howard Hughes grant substantially increases the number of students who are able to participate in this intense, full-time research experience over a several-month period.”
Fellowship recipients included:
- ALBANY: Thomas Lew, Brooke Peterschmidt
- BEAVERTON: Paul Donegan
- CLACKAMAS: Kara Miles-Rockenfield
- COOS BAY: Alma Laney
- CORVALLIS: Melissa Andreas, Erik Coffman, Andrew Fraser, Georgi Mitev, Megan Wolf
- ELMIRA: Jeff Burnett
- EUGENE: Paul Bradley, Susan Puckett
- FOREST GROVE: Amy Palmer
- GRESHAM: Christopher Brown, Tim Gobble
- HERMISTON: Tammy Chan
- HILLSBORO: Travis Schaal
- KLAMATH FALLS: Matt Ryder
- MEDFORD: Jennifer Coppersmith
- NEWBERG: Yesenia Correa
- PORTLAND: Daniel Bai, Alex Hadduck, Robert Lamb, Nicole Marshall, Michelle Nguyen, Duy Pham, Sam Schuberg, Jennifer Yan
- ROSEBURG: Jessica Perry
- SALEM: Brian Blair, Megan Kelly
- SPRINGFIELD: Rachel Dukes, Samantha Lewis
- SUTHERLIN: Sasha Rose
- SWEET HOME: Nathan Snyder
- TIGARD: David Chin, Sammy Khalil